Energy & Environment
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Baskaran is Chief Science and Technology Officer for Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s Energy and Environment Directorate, responsible for directing science and technology investments to deliver solutions for the nation’s most important energy and environment challenges. Prior to this role he managed the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) market sector, where he developed and implemented PNNL’s EERE strategy, coordinating closely with U.S. Department of Energy program managers and industry partners. Dr. Baskaran joined PNNL in 1993, and has held a variety of research and management positions. As a researcher, he developed new materials for automotive, fuel cell, and microelectronic applications, and also has overseen research thrusts in hydrogen and fuel cells, and in CO2 capture and gas separations. Dr. Baskaran’s management responsibilities have ranged from planning, oversight and execution of materials and manufacturing programs, to managing a structural materials research group and leading Laboratory Directed Research and Development initiatives. He has co-authored 50 technical papers, received nine patents, and has been the co-recipient of an R&D 100 Award, a PNNL Director’s Award for Excellence for best research group (materials synthesis), and two awards from DOE Basic Energy Sciences for Significant Implications of DOE Research.
- Yang Z, J Liu, S Baskaran, CH Imhoff, and JD Holladay. 2010. "Enabling Renewable Energy and the Future Grid with Advanced Electricity Storage." JOM. The Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 62(9):14-23.
- Williford RE, XS Li, RS Addleman, GE Fryxell, S Baskaran, JC Birnbaum, CA Coyle, TS Zemanian, CM Wang, and AR Courtney. 2005. "Mechanical Stability of Templated Mesoporous Silica Thin Films." Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 85(3):260-266.
- Birnbaum JC, GE Fryxell, XS Li, CA Coyle, GC Dunham, and S Baskaran. 2003. "Effects of Trace Metals and Organic Additives on Porosity and Dielectric Constant of High Purity Mesoporous Silica Films ." Chemical Communications 2003(15):1830-1831.
- Li XS, JC Birnbaum, RE Williford, GE Fryxell, CA Coyle, GC Dunham, and S Baskaran. 2003. "Effect of Humidity Treatments on Porosity and Mechanical Integrity of Mesoporous Silica Films ." Chemical Communications (16):2054-2055.
- Mukerjee S, SJ Shaffer, J Zizelman, LA Chick, S Baskaran, YS Chou, CA Coyle, JE Deibler, GD Maupin, KD Meinhardt, DM Paxton, TJ Peters, VL Sprenkle, KS Weil, and RE Williford. 2003. "Development Of A Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stack By Delphi And Battelle." In Solid Oxide Fuel Cells VIII (SOFC VIII). Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, vol. 2003-07, ed. S.C. Singhal; M. Kokiya, pp. 88-97. The Electrochemical Society, Inc., Pennington, NJ.
- Stevenson JW, S Baskaran, LA Chick, YS Chou, JE Deibler, MA Khaleel, OA Marina, KD Meinhardt, DM Paxton, LR Pederson, KP Recknagle, SP Simner, VL Sprenkle, KS Weil, ZG Yang, P Singh, and GL McVay. 2003. "Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC) Development at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory." In Solid Oxide Fuel Cells VIII (SOFC VIII). Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, vol. 2003-07, ed. S.C. Singhal; M Kokiya, pp. 31-42. The Electrochemical Society, Inc., Pennington, NJ.
- Birnbaum JC, XS Li, CR Yonker, GE Fryxell, and S Baskaran. 2002. "Effect of Solution Chemistry and Speciation on Shelf-life of Silica Sols and Characteristics of Deposited Mesoporous Thin Films." Chemical Communications 19:2270-2271.
- Domansky K, J Liu, LQ Wang, MH Engelhard, and S Baskaran. 2001. "Chemical Sensors Based on Dielectric Response of Functionalized Mesoporous Silica Films." Journal of Materials Research 16(10):2810-2816.
- Herling DR, MR Smith, S Baskaran, and J Kupe. 2000. "Application of Non-Thermal Plasma Assisted Catalyst Technology for Diesel Engine Emission Reduction." In Future engines. Future Transportation Technology Conference, Costa Mesa, California, August 21-23, 2000, no. SAE/SP-1559, pp. 61-68. Society of Automtove Engineers, Warrendale , PA.
- Baskaran S, J Liu, K Domansky, NJ Kohler, XH Li, CA Coyle, GE Fryxell, S Thevuthasan, and RE Williford. 2000. "Low Dielectric Constant Mesoporous Silica Films Through Molecularly Templated Synthesis ." Advanced Materials 12(4):291-294.
- Gong X, J Liu, S Baskaran, RD Voise, and JS Young. 2000. "Surfactant-assisted Processing of Carbon Nanotube/Polymer Composites." Chemistry of Materials 12(4):1049-1052.
- Thevuthasan S, S Baskaran, K Domansky, J Liu, and MH Engelhard. 2000. "Effectiveness of High Energy Ion Beam Techniques for the Characterization of Mesoporous Low Dielectric-Constant Materials." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section B, Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 161-163:476-481.
- Baskaran S, CA Lewinsohn, YS Chou, M Qian, JW Stevenson, and TR Armstrong. 1999. "Mechanical Properties of Alkaline-Earth Doped Lanthanum Gallate." Journal of Materials Science 34(16):3913-3922.
- Stevenson JW, TR Armstrong, LR Pederson, CA Lewinsohn, and S Baskaran. 1999. "Effect of A-Site Cation Nonstoichiometry on the Properties of Doped Lanthanum Gallate." Solid State Ionics 113-115:571-583. doi:10.1016/S0167-2738(98)00324-5