Catalysis Science & Applications
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Scientist, Battelle Memorial Institute at PNNL WA, 2006 - present Developed future directions of NOx emissions catalysis programs at PNNL
Manager of Quality Assurance, Applied Pharmaceutical Research, LLC. NY, USA, 2005 - 2006 Leader of quality for analytical laboratory and production facility in the development of an active pharmaceutical ingredient. Drove qualification and validation of the process for GMP/GLP
Staff Scientist, GE Global Research Center Niskayuna, NY, 2000 - 2005 FIELD OF RESEARCH: Catalysis and Implementation of High Throughput Screening Tools to Accelerate Research.
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1998 - 2000 FIELD OF RESEARCH: Metal Alkoxide Precursors for the Preparation and Optimization of Xerogels as Heterogeneous Oxidative Dehydrogenation Catalysts
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 1995 - 1998 FIELD OF RESEARCH: The Study of Solvent Cage Effects on Photochemically generated Organometallic Fragments
Research and Development Technician, London International Group plc., Cambridge, UK, July 1986 - July 1987 The redevelopment and assessment of latex products and lubricants.
Education and Credentials
- Executive M.B.A., SUNY at Albany, NY, 2007
- Ph.D. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada 1996
- B.S., Greenwich University Woolwich, SE London, UK 1988
Awards and Recognitions
- 2008 Energy and Environment Directorate Outstanding Performance Award.
- 2005, 2004 Invited reviewer for DOE’s National Laboratory Advanced Combustion Engine R&D Merit Review.
- 2004 GE Management award for serving as project leader for the NOx catalysis programs.
- 2004 Invited reviewer for the Catalytic Advances Program technical report “Accelerating Catalyst & Process Development Using High Throughput & Combinatorial Methods”.
- 2003 GE Management award for outstanding technical contribution in the field of NOx catalysis & development of the 96-well reactor.
- 2002 “GE Hat’s Off” award for assisting in planning of new combinatorial labs in new building.
- 2002 “GE Double Hat’s Off" award for accomplishments on the NOx Catalysis Team.
- 2002 "GE Hats Off" award for work on an Ultra-Low NOx Emissions NIST Proposal.
- 2001 “GE Hats Off” award for innovation, instigating and driving the role of the catalysis program in reduction of NOx emissions from turbines
- Jones SB, and JL Male. 2012. Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: 2011 State of Technology and Projections to 2017. PNNL-22133, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Snowden-Swan LJ, and JL Male. 2012. Summary of Fast Pyrolysis and Upgrading GHG Analyses. PNNL-22175, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fox B, AW Sun, HB Dauer, JL Male, ML Stewart, and DR Tyler. 2011. "Enhanced Oxidative Desulfurization of Model Fuels Using a Film-Shear Reactor." Fuel 90(2):898-901. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.10.023
- Lebarbier VMC, D Mei, DH Kim, A Andersen, JL Male, JE Holladay, RJ Rousseau, and Y Wang. 2011. "Effects of La2O3 on the mixed higher alcohols synthesis from syngas over Co catalysts: A combined theoretical and experimental study." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(35):17440-17451. doi:10.1021/jp204003q
- Matson DW, GL Graff, JL Male, BR Johnson, Z Nie, AG Joly, and LC Olsen. 2010. "Synthesis and Screening of Thin Films in the CeCl3-CeBr3 System for Scintillator Applications." Thin Solid Films 518(12):3194-3198. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2009.09.015
- Rappe KG, DR Herling, JL Male, L Li, Y Su, and JD Holladay. 2009. Low-Temperature Oxidation Catalyst Development Supporting Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Development: Final Report. PNNL-18883, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Sapochak LS, AB Padmaperuma, X Cai, JL Male, and PE Burrows. 2008. "Inductive effects of diphenylphosphoryl moieties on carbazole host materials: Design rules for blue electrophosphorescent organic light-emitting devices." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 112(21):7989-7996.