Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Heather Brown joined PNNL’s Chemical and Biological Process Development Group as a research chemist, in December of 2005. Originally hired to maintain various analytical instruments, she now manages the Combinatorial High Throughput Laboratory. The combinatorial laboratory is a unique capability which allows for rapid screening of catalysts and reaction processes. Ms. Brown utilizes her chemical, analytical, and programming experience to coordinate work-flows for a wide variety of projects, primarily in the field of biomass utilization. Her and her team provide experimental design, execution, data processing, and reporting as part of the combinatorial service center. Ms. Brown handles all cost accounting and scheduling for the service center.
- Discovering solutions to energy and environmental issues.
- Creating practical robotics procedures for wet chemistry, catalyst preparation, and reaction process screening techniques.
- Developing novel programs, protocols, and data visualization for data sets.
Education and Credentials
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Suma Cum Laude- Washington State University
- Liu C, J Sun, HM Brown, OG Marin-Flores, JT Bays, AM Karim, and Y Wang. 2016. "Aqueous phase hydrodeoxygenation of polyols over Pd/WO3-ZrO2: Role of Pd-WO3 interaction and hydrodeoxygenation pathway." Catalysis Today 269:103-109. doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2015.10.034
- Olarte MV, AH Zacher, AB Padmaperuma, SD Burton, HM Job, TL Lemmon, MS Swita, LJ Rotness, Jr, GG Neuenschwander, JG Frye, and DC Elliott. 2016. "Stabilization of Softwood-Derived Pyrolysis Oils for Continuous Bio-oil Hydroprocessing." Topics in Catalysis 59(1):55-64. doi:10.1007/s11244-015-0505-7
- Ramasamy KK, MJ Gray, HM Job, CD Smith, and Y Wang. 2016. "Tunable catalytic properties of bi-functional mixed oxides in ethanol conversion to high value compounds." Catalysis Today 269:82-87. doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2015.11.045
- Ramasamy KK, MJ Gray, HM Job, DM Santosa, XS Li, A Devaraj, AJ Karkamkar, and Y Wang. 2016. "Role of Calcination Temperature on the Hydrotalcite Derived MgO-Al2O3 in Converting Ethanol to Butanol." Topics in Catalysis 59(1):46-54. doi:10.1007/s11244-015-0504-8
- Ramasamy KK, MJ Gray, HM Job, and Y Wang. 2015. "Direct Syngas Hydrogenation over a Co-Ni Bimetallic Catalyst: Process Parameter Optimization." Chemical Engineering Science 135:266-273. doi:10.1016/j.ces.2015.03.064
- Zhao H, HM Brown, JE Holladay, and ZC Zhang. 2012. "Prominent roles of impurities in ionic liquid for catalytic conversion of carbohydrates ." Topics in Catalysis 55(1-2):33-37. doi:10.1007/s11244-012-9772-8
- Su Y, HM Brown, G Li, XD Zhou, JE Amonette, JL Fulton, DM Camaioni, and ZC Zhang. 2011. "Accelerated Cellulose Depolymerization Catalyzed by Paired Metal Chlorides in Ionic Liquid Solvent." Applied Catalysis. A, General 391(1-2):436-442. doi:10.1016/j.apcata.2010.09.021
- Su Y, HM Brown, X Huang, XD Zhou, JE Amonette, and ZC Zhang. 2009. "Single-step conversion of cellulose to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), a versatile platform chemical." Applied Catalysis. A, General 361(1-2):117-122. doi:10.1016/j.apcata.2009.04.002
- Zacher AH, JE Holladay, JG Frye, HM Brown, DM Santosa, and AA Oberg. 2009. Final Project Report Project 10749-126.96.36.199 2007-2009. PNNL-18407, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Holladay JE, HM Brown, AM Appel, and ZC Zhang. 2008. "Novel Hydride Transfer Catalysis for Carbohydrate Conversions." In Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on Catalysis of Organic Reactions, vol. 123, ed. ML Prunier, pp. 411-418. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Zhao H, JE Holladay, HM Brown, and ZC Zhang. 2007. "Metal Chlorides in Ionic Liquid Solvents Convert Sugars to 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural." Science 316(5831):1597-1600. doi:10.1126/science.1141199
- Zhao H, JH Kwak, ZC Zhang, HM Brown, BW Arey, and JE Holladay. 2007. "Studying Cellulose Fiber Structure by SEM, XRD, NMR and Acid Hydrolysis." Carbohydrate Polymers 68(2):235-241. doi:10.1016/j.carbpol.2006.12.013