Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Jamie Holladay joined PNNL in 2000 and has been working on solving our nation’s energy problems ever since. He is the Energy Storage Team Lead and relationship manager for the Fuel Cell Technology Program, the Geothermal Technology Programs, and the sub-account manager for Energy Storage and Power. In addition to his sector responsibilities, he is the program manager and principle investigator for PNNL’s portion of the DOE’s Hydrogen Storage Engineering Center of Excellence, a member of the Hydrogen Production Technical Team for USCAR and the FCT representative to the Hydrogen Utilities Group. Past projects included work for the DoD in hydrogen production, DOE and NASA in microchannel technology, and he spent two years at the DOE headquarters on assignment to the Fuel Cell Technology Program. Jamie has authored or coauthored over 40 journal articles, books, book chapters, conference papers and other publications. He has organized or co-organized over 7 workshops or symposiums on a wide range of topics. He has 9 patents or applications. His technical work has been recognized internally with Key Contributor and multiple Outstanding Performance Awards, and externally with the DOE Hydrogen Program Special Recognition Award in 2010.
- Lithium Batteries
- Flow Batteries
- Energy Storage
- Fuel Cells
- Hydrogen Production
- Hydrogen Storage
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 2000
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1996
Awards and Recognitions
- DOE Hydrogen Program Special Recognition Award 2010
- PNNL Key Contributor Award 2006
- PS&E Strategic Business Development Award 2004
- Outstanding Performance Award for Co-Organizing ACS Microreaction Technology and Process Intensification Symposium (Sept 8-9, 2003)
- Outstanding Performance Award for successful completion of the mW project 1/26/2004
- PNNL Key Contributor Award 2002
- Outstanding Performance Award for work on the mW Project 4/08/2002
- Electrochemical Society General Society Student Poster Session Award in Electrochemical Science and Technology, Seattle Washington May 5, 1999 paper entitled “Ni/Zn and Li-ion Rechargeable Microbatteries for Use with MEMS”
- Devarakonda MN, KP Brooks, E Ronnebro, SD Rassat, and JD Holladay. 2012. "Chemical Hydrides for Hydrogen Storage in Fuel Cell Applications." In SAE World Congress and Exhibition, April 24-26, 2012, Detroit, Michigan, pp. SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1229. SAE International, Warrendale, PA. doi:10.4271/2012-01-1229
- Brooks KP, MN Devarakonda, SD Rassat, and JD Holladay. 2011. "Systems Modeling of Chemical Hydride Hydrogen Storage Materials for Fuel Cell Applications." Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology 8(6):Article No. 061021. doi:10.1115/1.4004477
- Neiner D, AJ Karkamkar, M Bowden, YJ Choi, AT Luedtke, JD Holladay, AM Fisher, N Szymczak, and T Autrey. 2011. "Kinetic and Thermodynamic Investigation of Hydrogen Release from Ethane 1,2-di-amineborane." Energy & Environmental Science 4(10):4187-4193. doi:10.1039/C1EE01884A
- Devarakonda MN, JD Holladay, KP Brooks, SD Rassat, and DR Herling. 2010. "Dynamic Modeling and Simulation Based Analysis of an Ammonia Borane (AB) Reactor System for Hydrogen Storage." ECS Transactions 33(1):1959 - 1972. doi:10.1149/1.3484687
- Yang Z, J Liu, S Baskaran, CH Imhoff, and JD Holladay. 2010. "Enabling Renewable Energy and the Future Grid with Advanced Electricity Storage." JOM. The Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 62(9):14-23.
- Brooks KP, SD Rassat, J Hu, VS Stenkamp, SN Schlahta, JR Bontha, JD Holladay, T Simon, KA Romig, and C Howard. 2009. "Development of a Microchannel In Situ Propellant Production System ." In Space Technology and Applications International Forum - STAIF 2006: AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 813, ed. MS ElGenk, pp. 1111-1121. American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY.
- Holladay JD, J Hu, DL King, and Y Wang. 2009. "An Overview of Hydrogen Production Technologies." Catalysis Today 139(4):244-260.
- Rappe KG, DR Herling, JL Male, L Li, Y Su, and JD Holladay. 2009. Low-Temperature Oxidation Catalyst Development Supporting Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Development: Final Report. PNNL-18883, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Holladay JD, KP Brooks, PH Humble, J Hu, and T Simon. 2008. "Compact Reverse Water-Gas-Shift Reactor for Extra-Terrestrial In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) ." Journal of Propulsion and power 24(3):578-582.
- Holladay JD, KP Brooks, RS Wegeng, J Hu, J Sanders, and S Baird. 2007. "Microreactor Development for Martian In-Situ Propellant Production ." Catalysis Today 120(1):35-44. doi:doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2006.07.019
- Palo DR, RA Dagle, and JD Holladay. 2007. "Methanol Steam Reforming for Hydrogen Production." Chemical Reviews 107(10):3992-4021. doi:10.1021/cr050198b
- Dagle RA, Y Wang, G Xia, JJ Strohm, JD Holladay, and DR Palo. 2007. "Selective CO Methanation Catalysts for Fuel Processing Applications." Applied Catalysis. A, General 326(2):213-218.
- Hu J, KP Brooks, JD Holladay, D Howe, and TM Simon. 2007. "Catalyst Development for Microchannel Reactors for Martian In Situ Propellant Production." Catalysis Today 125(1-2):103-110.
- Johnson BR, NL Canfield, DN Tran, RA Dagle, XS Li, JD Holladay, and Y Wang. 2007. "Engineered SMR catalysts based on hydrothermally stable, porous, ceramic supports for microchannel reactors." Catalysis Today 120(1):54-62.
- Palo DR, VS Stenkamp, JD Holladay, PH Humble, RA Dagle, and KP Brooks. 2007. "Non-Reactor Micro-Component Development." Chapter 7 in Micro-Instrumentation for High Throughput Experimentation and Process Intensification, ed. MV Koch, KM VandenBussche, R Chrisman, pp. 131-180. Wiley-VHC, Weinheim, Germany.
- Peterson RB, B Paul, T Palmer, Q Wu, W Jost, CHT Tseng, S Tiwari, GK Patello, EC Buck, JD Holladay, RW Shimskey, PH Humble, PJ MacFarlan, and J Wainright. 2007. "Radiolytic microscale power generation based on single chamber fuel cell operation." Journal of Micromechanics and microengineering: structures, devices & systems 17:S250-S256. doi:10.1088/0960-1317/17/9/S07
- Brooks KP, SD Rassat, J Hu, VS Stenkamp, SN Schlahta, JR Bontha, JD Holladay, T Simon, KA Romig, and CL Howard. 2006. "Development of a Microchannel In Situ Propellant Production System." In Space Technology and Applications International Forum--STAIF 2006, vol. 813, no. 2006, ed. MS El-Genk, pp. 111-1121. American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY.
- Holladay JD, and VV Viswanathan. 2005. "Microscale Fuel Cells." In Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing, vol. 3, ed. S Lee, pp. 1663-1672. Taylor and Francis, New York.
- Holladay JD, EO Jones, RA Dagle, G Xia, C Cao, and Y Wang. 2005. "Miniaturization of a Hydrogen Plant." Chapter 10 in Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification, ACS Symposium Series, vol. 914, ed. Yong Wang and Jamelyn D. Holladay, pp. 162-178. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- Palo DR, JD Holladay, RA Dagle, and YH Chin. 2005. "Integrated Methanol Fuel Processors for Portable Fuel Cell Systems." Chapter 13 in Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification, ACS Symposium Series, vol. 914, ed. Yong Wang and Jamelyn D. Holladay, pp. 209-223. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- Palo DR, JD Holladay, RA Dagle, and YH Chin. 2005. "Integrated Methanol Fuel Processors for Portable Fuel Cell Systems." In Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification, ACS Symposium Series 914, pp. 209-223. American Chemical Society, Washington.
- Cao C, Y Wang, JD Holladay, EO Jones, and DR Palo. 2005. "Design of Micro-Scale Fuel Processors Assisted By Numerical Modeling." AIChE Journal 51(3):982-988.
- Xia G, JD Holladay, RA Dagle, EO Jones, and Y Wang. 2005. "Development of Highly Active Pd-ZnO/Al2O3 Catalysts for Microscale Fuel Processor Applications." Chemical Engineering and Technology 28(4):515-519.
- Holladay JD, EO Jones, RA Dagle, G Xia, C Cao, and Y Wang. 2004. "High Efficiency and Low Carbon Monoxide Micro-scale Methanol Processors." Journal of Power Sources 131(1-2):69-72.
- Holladay JD, J Wainright, EO Jones, and SR Gano. 2004. "Power generation using a mesoscale fuel cell integrated with a microscale fuel processor." Journal of Power Sources 130(1-2):111-118.
- Holladay JD, Y Wang, and EO Jones. 2004. "Review of Developments in Portable Hydrogen Production Using Microreactor Technology." Chemical Reviews 104(10):4767-4789.
- Cao C, G Xia, JD Holladay, EO Jones, and Y Wang. 2004. "Kinetic Studies of Methanol Steam Reforming Over Pd/ZnO Catalyst Using a Microchannel Reactor." Applied Catalysis. A, General 262(1):19-29.
- Palo DR, EG Baker, YH Chin, JD Holladay, and RA Dagle. 2003. "Fuel Processor Development for a Soldier-Portable Power System." In AIChE 2003 Spring National Meeting, 2nd Topical Conference on Fuel Cell Technology , pp. 143-147. AIChE, New York, NY.
- Holladay JD, EO Jones, DR Palo, MR Phelps, YH Chin, RA Dagle, J Hu, Y Wang, and EG Baker. 2003. "Miniature Fuel Processors for Portable Fuel Cell Power Supplies." In Solid State Ionics--2002 : Symposium held December 2-5, 2002, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. / Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, vol. 756, ed. Philippe Knauth and Hubert A. Gasteiger, pp. 429-434. Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA.
- Hu J, Y Wang, DP Vanderwiel, YH Chin, DR Palo, RT Rozmiarek, RA Dagle, C Cao, JD Holladay, and EG Baker. 2003. "Fuel Processing for Portable Power Applications." Chemical Engineering Journal 93(1):55-60.
- Holladay JD, EO Jones, MR Phelps, and J Hu. 2002. "High-Efficiency Microscale Power Using a Fuel Processor and Fuel Cell." In MEMS Components and Applications for Industry, Automobiles, Aerospace, and Communications, Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 4559, ed. H. Helvajian, J. W. Siegfried, F. Laermer, pp. 148-156. SPIE- The International Society for Optical Engineering, Bellingham, WA.
- Palo DR, JD Holladay, RT Rozmiarek, CE Guzman-Leong, Y Wang, J Hu, YH Chin, RA Dagle, and EG Baker. 2002. "Development of a Soldier-Portable Fuel Cell Power System, Part I: A Bread-Board Methanol Fuel Processor." Journal of Power Sources 108(1-2):28-34.
- Palo DR, JD Holladay, RT Rozmiarek, CE Guzman-Leong, Y Wang, J Hu, YH Chin, RA Dagle, and EG Baker. 2002. "Fuel Processor Development for a Soldier-Portable Fuel Cell System." In Microreaction Technology, IMRET 5: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Microreaction Technology, ed. M. Matlosz, W. Ehrfeld, J.P. Baselt, pp. 359-367. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, , GERMANY.
- Jones EO, JD Holladay, ST Perry, RJ Orth, RT Rozmiarek, J Hu, MR Phelps, and CE Guzman-Leong. 2002. "Sub-watt Power Using an Integrated Fuel Processor and Fuel Cell ." In Microreaction Technology, IMRET IV - Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Microreaction Technology, ed. M. Matlosz, W. Ehrfield, et al., pp. 277-285. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, , .