Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Rappé joined Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in August 1996. At PNNL, he has been responsible for project management, proposal development and technical contributions in a number of different areas of environmental and energy research, primarily focused on technology development. He has been working in the field of diesel engine emission reduction since 1998, of which he has managed multiple projects and technically contributed on others. His areas of focus have included hydrocarbon-based selective catalytic reduction of NO/NO2 (HC-SCR), low-temperature CO/hydrocarbon oxidation, and integration of diesel particulate filter (DPF) technology with urea-SCR technology. His research is supported by the Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (DOE-EERE) through the Vehicle Technologies Program. The work typically takes the form of Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) with engine manufacturers, who match DOE funds with work in-kind. Thus, Mr. Rappé works very closely with these CRADA partners, including companies such as Caterpillar, Ford, General Electric, and PACCAR. Mr. Rappé is also an expert at the practical application of non-thermal plasma (NTP) processing for facilitating chemical reactions. Applications have included diesel engine emission reduction, pulp and paper emission reduction, semiconductor processing emission reduction, and adipic acid chemical production via cyclohexane conversion to cyclohexanol & cyclohexanone. Mr. Rappé has also been instrumental in the development of SAMMS technology (self-assembled monolayers on mesoporous supports) for CO2 capture. Other research interests and projects include ammonia borane studies as hydrogen storage material, and collective protection as it applies to chemical and biological warfare agents.
- Technology and scientific development for heavy-duty diesel engine emission reduction
- Heterogeneous catalyst development, screening, and characterization for identifying structure-activity relationships
- Non-thermal plasma (NTP) facilitated and NTP-catalytic facilitated chemical processing for environmental pollution control and chemical production
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 1996
- B.S., Chemical Engineering with Honors, Washington State University, 1994
Affiliations and Professional Service
- North American Catalysis Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Chemistry Society
- Society of Automotive Engineers
Awards and Recognitions
- Recipient of the American Chemical Society’s Team Chemistry Award, “Advanced Carbon Dioxide Removal Unit.”
- 2012 R&D 100 Award, “Advanced Carbon Dioxide Removal Unit.”
- 2012 Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Interagency Partnership Award, in cooperation with Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) and the Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division (NSWCCD), “Advanced Carbon Dioxide Removal Unit.”
- 2003 Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for excellence in technology transfer, “Engine Exhaust Aftertreatment System Based on Non-Thermal Plasma-Assisted Catalysis.”
- 12503-B CIP1 Processes and Apparatuses for Treating Halogen-Containing Gases (Battelle Part Interest); Pending – Filed 1/13/2003: (Handled by other Party) Inventors: Aardahl, Chris L., Kenneth G. Rappé, Rick J. Orth, Peter Porshnev, Sebastien Raoux, Michael Woolston
- 12503-B CIP1 PCT Treatment of Effluent from a Substrate Processing Chamber (Battelle Part Interest); Pending - Filed 1/13/2003: (Handled by other Party) Inventors: Aardahl, Chris L., Kenneth G. Rappé, Rick J. Orth, Peter Porshnev, Sebastien Raoux, Michael Woolston
- 13657: Mixture of Heavy-Duty and Light-Duty Catalysts for NOx Control Using Plasma Assisted Catalysis; Pending – Filed 8/28/02: (Handled by other Party) Inventors: Aardahl, Chris L., Charles Peden, Kenneth Rappé, Russell Tonkyn, Diana Tran
- 14376: Method of Generating Hydrocarbon Reagents from Diesel, Natural Gas and other Logistical Fuels; Pending – Filed 5/12/05: (Handled by other Party) Inventors: Aardahl, Chris L., Darrell Herling, Jamie Holladay, Kenneth Rappé, Robert Rozmiarek, and Yong Wang
- Meyer PA, LJ Snowden-Swan, KG Rappe, SB Jones, T Westover, and KG Cafferty. 2016. "Field-to-Fuel Performance Testing of Lignocellulosic Feedstocks for Fast Pyrolysis and Upgrading: Techno-economic Analysis and Greenhouse Gas Life Cycle Analysis." Energy and Fuels 30(11):9427-9439. doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01643
- Stewart ML, A Zelenyuk, F Gao, GG Muntean, CHF Peden, KG Rappe, J Szanyi, and K Howden. 2014. "CLEERS Aftertreatment Modeling and Analysis." Chapter III.3 in FY 2014 Progress Report for Advanced Combustion Engine Research and Development, vol. DOE/EE-1156, ed. G Singh, pp. III-13 - III-18. US Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Vehicle Technologies Office, Washington, DC.
- Rappe KG, JH Lee, ML Stewart, MN Devarakonda, and GD Maupin. 2012. "Combination and Integration of DPF-SCR After-treatment." Chapter II.B.12 in 2011 Annual Progress Report for Advanced Combustion Engine Research and Development, pp. 227-230. DOE Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, Washington DC.
- Josephson GB, RG Tonkyn, JG Frye, BJ Riley, and KG Rappe. 2011. Hybrid Plasma Reactor/Filter for Transportable Collective Protection Systems . PNNL-20270, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Josephson GB, RG Tonkyn, KG Rappe, and JG Frye. 2009. Annual Report for Hybrid Plasma Reactor/Filter for Transportable Collective Protection Systems-Phase 1B . PNNL-18497, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Rappe KG, DR Herling, JL Male, L Li, Y Su, and JD Holladay. 2009. Low-Temperature Oxidation Catalyst Development Supporting Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Development: Final Report. PNNL-18883, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Heldebrant DJ, AJ Karkamkar, NJ Hess, ME Bowden, SD Rassat, F Zheng, KG Rappe, and T Autrey. 2008. "The Effects of Chemical Additives on the Induction Phase in Solid-State Thermal Decomposition of Ammonia Borane." Chemistry of Materials 20(16):5332-5336. doi:10.1021/cm801253u
- Zheng F, SD Rassat, DJ Heldebrant, DD Caldwell, CL Aardahl, T Autrey, JC Linehan, and KG Rappe. 2008. "Automated gas burette system for evolved hydrogen measurements." Review of Scientific Instruments 79(8):Article no: 084103. doi:10.1063/1.2968715
- Rappe KG, J Hoard, CL Aardahl, PW Park, CHF Peden, and DN Tran. 2004. "Combination of Low and High Temperature Catalytic Materials to Obtain Broad Temperature Coverage for Plasma-Facilitated NOx Reduction." Catalysis Today 89(1-2):143-150.
- Tran DN, CL Aardahl, KG Rappe, PW Park, and CL Boyer. 2004. "Reduction of NOx by plasma-facilitated catalysis over In-doped y-alumina." Applied Catalysis. B, Environmental 48(2):155-164.
- Aardahl CL, KG Rappe, PW Park, CS Ragle, CL Boyer, and S Faulkner. 2003. "Steady-State Engine Testing of gamma-Alumina Catalysts Under Plasma Assist for NOx Control in Heavy-Duty Diesel Exhaust." In Lean Engine NOx Control: SAE World Congress, vol. SAE SP 1759, pp. 121-128, Paper No. 2003-01-1186. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Aardahl CL, JC Birnbaum, KG Rappe, and DN Tran. 2002. "Plasma-Activated Lean NOx Catalysis for Heavy-Duty Diesel Emissions Control." In 2002 Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Workshop. US Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Washington, DC.
- Wang LQ, CF Habeger, CL Aardahl, KG Rappe, DN Tran, and M Avila. 2002. "Solid-state 27 Al nuclear magnetic resonance investigation of plasma-facilitated NOx reduction catalysts." Journal of Materials Research 17(7):1843-1848.
- Aardahl CL, CF Habeger, ML Balmer, KG Rappe, DN Tran, M Avila, PW Park, KA Koshkarian, and A Chanda. 2000. "Plasma Enhanced Catalytic Reduction of Nox in Simulated Lean Exhaust." In SAE Technical Paper Series, no. 2000-01-2961, pp. 1-7. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA.
- Brooks KP, JR Bontha, GR Golcar, RL Myers, KG Rappe, and DR Rector. 1998. Bench-Scale Enhanced Sludge Washing and Gravity Settling of Hanford Tank S-107 Sludge . PNNL-12010, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.