Interfacial Science & Rheology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Since joining Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 2008, Dr. Chun has been performing and leading research in various theoretical and experimental aspects of ‘structured’ fluids: suspension rheology, granular materials, and multiphase flows. He also has been working on related areas such as millimeter wave rheometry and the prediction of magnetic permeability of ferrites. Previous working experience includes:
- Polymers Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2007-2008
- Department of Chemical Engineering, Princeton University, 2003-2006
- Polymers Group, LG Chemical Ltd. Research Center, Taejon, Korea, 1993-1998
- Experimental and theoretical studies on dense suspension rheology that lead to the optimization and modification of nuclear waste slurry processing
- Colloidal interactions such as electrostatic, van der Waals, and steric interactions in various self-assemblies and supramolecular structures
- Characterization and separation of single wall carbon nanotubes such as dynamic light scattering and flow-field flow fractionation techniques
- Theoretical studies on electro-hydrodynamics for nanostructure fabrication
- Brownian dynamic simulations and Direct Simulation Monte Carlo for various multiphase flow problems
- Experimental studies on capillary electrophoresis and hydrodynamic chromatography to separate various particles/nanoparticles
- Commercial emulsion polymerization process and post-processing
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (2003)
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Taejon, Korea (1993)
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea (1991)
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Director for US-Korean Institute Chemical Engineers Chapter
- Society of Rheology
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Korean Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Active Peer-Reviewers for Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Aerosol Science and Technology, and The Open Applied Physics Journal
- Chung CW, J Chun, W Um, SK Sundaram, and JH Westsik, Jr. 2013. "Setting and Stiffening of Cementitious Components in Cast Stone Waste Form for Disposal of Secondary Wastes from the Hanford waste treatment and immobilization plant." Cement and Concrete Research 46:14-22. doi:10.1016/j.cemconres.2013.01.003
- Chun J, AM Jones, and JS McCloy. 2012. "Effects of domain, grain, and magnetic anisotropy distributions on magnetic permeability: Monte-Carlo approach." Journal of Applied Physics 112(2):Article No. 023904. doi:10.1063/1.4737417
- Chung CW, W Um, MM Valenta, SK Sundaram, J Chun, KE Parker, ML Kimura, and JH Westsik, Jr. 2012. "Characteristics of Cast Stone Cementitious Waste Form for Immobilization of Secondary Wastes from Vitrification Process." Journal of Nuclear Materials 420(1-3):164-174. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2011.09.021
- Ren P, J Chun, DG Thomas, M Schnieders, M Marucho, J Zhang, and NA Baker. 2012. "Biomolecular electrostatics and solvation: a computational perspective." Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics 45(4):427-491. doi:10.1017/S003358351200011X
- Riley BJ, WC Lepry, J Chun, and DM Strachan. 2012. Initial Assessment of Alternate Metals in Chalcogels. PNNL-21488, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chun J, JS McCloy, JV Crum, and SK Sundaram. 2011. "Millimeter Wave Rheometry: Theory and Experiment." Rheologica Acta 50(2):125-130. doi:10.1007/s00397-010-0522-1
- Chun J, T Oh, ML Luna, and MJ Schweiger. 2011. "Effect of Particle Size Distribution on Slurry Rheology: Nuclear Waste Simulant Slurries." Colloids and Surfaces. A, Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 384(1-3):304-310.
- Bhosale PS, J Chun, and JC Berg. 2011. "Electroacoustics of Particles Dispersed in Polymer Gel." Langmuir 27(12):7376-7379. doi:10.1021/la2014495
- Bhosale PS, J Chun, and JC Berg. 2011. "Electrophoretic Mobility of Poly(acrylic acid)-Coated Alumina Particles." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 358(1):123-128. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2011.02.038
- Fagan JA, BJ Bauer, EK Hobbie, ML Becker, A Hight-Walker, JR Simpson, J Chun, J Obrzut, V Bajpai, FR Phelan, D Simien, J Yeon Huh, and KB Migler. 2011. "Carbon Nanotubes: Measuring Dispersion and Length." Advanced Materials 23(3):338-348. doi:10.1002/adma.201001756
- Onishi Y, EBK Baer, J Chun, ST Yokuda, AJ Schmidt, S Sande, and WC Buchmiller. 2011. Development of K-Basin High-Strength Homogeneous Sludge Simulants and Correlations Between Unconfined Compressive Strength and Shear Strength. PNNL-20048; 53451-RPT14 Rev 0, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Riley BJ, J Chun, JV Ryan, J Matyas, XS Li, DW Matson, SK Sundaram, DM Strachan, and JD Vienna. 2011. "Chalcogen-based aerogels as a multifunctional platform for remediation of radioactive iodine." RSC Advances 1(9):1704-1715. doi:10.1039/C1RA00351H
- Strachan DM, J Chun, J Matyas, WC Lepry, BJ Riley, JV Ryan, and PK Thallapally. 2011. Summary Report on the Volatile Radionuclide and Immobilization Research for FY2011 at PNNL. PNNL-20807, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Sundaram SK, KE Parker, MM Valenta, SG Pitman, J Chun, CW Chung, ML Kimura, CA Burns, W Um, and JH Westsik, Jr. 2011. Secondary Waste Form Development and Optimization-Cast Stone. PNNL-20159 Rev. 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chun J, AP Poloski, and EK Hansen. 2010. "Stabilization and Control of Rheological Properties of Fe2O3/Al(OH)(3)-rich Colloidal Slurries Under High Ionic Strength and pH." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 348(1):280-288.
- Chun J, PR Bredt, E Hansen, PS Bhosale, and JC Berg. 2010. "Impact of Rheological Modifiers on Various Slurries Supporting DOE Waste Processing." In Waste Management 2010: Improving the Future by Dealing with the Past, March 7-11, 2010, Phoenix, Arizona, p. Paper No. 10099. WM Symposia, Phoenix, AZ.
- Gauglitz PA, BE Wells, JA Bamberger, JA Fort, J Chun, and JWJ Jenks. 2010. The Role of Cohesive Particle Interactions on Solids Uniformity and Mobilization During Jet Mixing: Testing Recommendations. PNNL-19245, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Gauglitz PA, WC Buchmiller, JWJ Jenks, J Chun, RL Russell, AJ Schmidt, and MM Mastor, Jr. 2010. The Disruption of Vessel-Spanning Bubbles with Sloped Fins in Flat-Bottom and 2:1 Elliptical-Bottom Vessels. PNNL-19345 Rev 0, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Poloski AP, AW Etchells, J Chun, HE Adkins, Jr, AM Casella, MJ Minette, and ST Yokuda. 2010. "A Pipeline Transport Correlation for Slurries with Small but Dense Particles ." Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 88(2):182-189.
- Strachan DM, J Chun, CH Henager, Jr, J Matyas, BJ Riley, JV Ryan, and PK Thallapally. 2010. Summary Report for the Development of Materials for Volatile Radionuclides. PNNL-20007, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chun J, E Hansen, and JC Berg. 2009. "Rheological Modifiers and Wetting Agents." In Waste Processing Annual Technology Development Report 2008, SRNL-STI-2009-00716, ed. SR Bush, pp. 17-19. Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, GA.
- Iida K, TQ Chastek, KL Beers, KA Cavicchi, J Chun, and MJ Fasolka. 2009. "Living anionic polymerization using a microfluidic reactor." Lab on a Chip 9(2):339-345.
- Poloski AP, ML Bonebrake, AM Casella, MD Johnson, JJ Toth, HE Adkins, Jr, J Chun, KM Denslow, M Luna, and JM Tingey. 2009. Deposition Velocities of Non-Newtonian Slurries in Pipelines: Complex Simulant Testing. PNNL-18316, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fagan JA, ML Becker, J Chun, P Nie, BJ Bauer, JR Simpson, A Hight-Walker, and EK Hobbie. 2008. "Centrifugal Length Separation of Carbon Nanotubes." Langmuir 24(24):13880-13889.