Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Bonneville is a Laboratory Fellow and geophysicist who joined the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 2009. He is the principal investigator of a diverse range of projects involving basic and applied research in geological storage of CO2, geophysical monitoring techniques and geothermal energy. Between 2009 and 2013, he led the PNNL Carbon Sequestration Initiative. Prior to this role, he was a full professor of Geophysics and vice director of the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP). He has made contributions to various domains of Earth sciences, from the study of intra-plate volcanism to marine heat flow and geodesy. During the 1990s, as a professor at the University of French Polynesia, he became a recognized specialist of the geodynamics of the South Pacific and founded the Geodetic Observatory of Tahiti with support from NASA and CNES (France's space agency).
In 2003, Dr. Bonneville created a research program on geological sequestration of CO2 funded by a major oil company (TOTAL) and an oil service company (Schlumberger) that established IPGP as a major contributor of fundamental research on this subject in France and Europe. He coordinated the European Marie Curie Research Training Network on Greenhouse Gas Removal Apprenticeship and Student Program (GRASP) and is a member of the Scientific Board of IFP-Energies Nouvelles.
Dr. Bonneville has authored more than 80 peer-reviewed papers and 165 communications in international conferences. He is member of the Washington State Academy of Sciences and associate editor for the Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth.
- Geological storage of CO2: project management, site characterization, numerical modeling and data management, potential field and remote sensing monitoring methods.
- Thermal monitoring and modeling: Remote sensing monitoring of active volcanoes. Development of a finite element code to solve thermal problems in geosciences; applications to calderas formation, dykes cooling, geothermal and ore deposits.
- Marine heat flow: Development of marine instrumentation and data processing in real time. Study of thermal rejuvenation of oceanic lithosphere, thermal regime of a young oceanic lithosphere (mid oceanic ridge and passive margin), and thermal regime of petroleum systems.
- Intraplate volcanism: Determination of origin of hot spot volcanism in Indian and Pacific oceans. Study of the lithospheric thermomechanical properties and their impact on volcanism. Mapping of seafloor topography and study of the structure of swells, islands, and seamounts by gravity methods. Characterization of submarine landslides. Inventory of natural resources of French Polynesia EEZ.
Education and Credentials
- BS in Geology from the University of Lyon, France
- MS in Oil Exploration from Institut Francais du Petrole, Paris, France
- PhD in Geophysics from the University of Montpellier, France
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Washington State Academy of Sciences
- Executive Committee of the U.S. National Risk Assessment Partnership
- Scientific Committee of IFP-Energies Nouvelles
- Fernandez CA, H Shao, A Bonneville, T Varga, and L Zhong. 2016. "On the Versatility of Rheoreversible, Stimuli-responsive Hydraulic-Fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Systems: Effect of Reservoir pH." In Proceedings of the 41st Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, February 22-24, 2016, Stanford, California, pp. Paper No SGP-TR-209. Curran Associates Inc., RED HOOK, NY.
- Gilmore TJ, AH Bonneville, EC Sullivan, ME Kelley, D Appriou, VR Vermeul, SK White, Z Zhang, BN Bjornstad, F Cornet, JL Gerst, N Gupta, G Hund, JA Horner, GV Last, DC Lanigan, M Oostrom, C McNeil, MA Moody, ML Rockhold, ML Elliott, FA Spane, CE Strickland, LL Swartz, PD Thorne, CF Brown, J Hoffmann, and KK Humphreys, JR. 2016. "Characterization and Design of the FutureGen 2.0 Carbon Storage Site." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 53:1-10. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.022
- Nguyen BN, Z Hou, ML Stewart, CJ Murray, and A Bonneville. 2016. "Thermal Impact of CO2 Injection on Geomechanical Response at the FutureGEN 2.0 Site: A Three-dimensional Thermo-geomechanical Approach." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 54(Part 1):29-49. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.08.026
- Vermeul VR, JE Amonette, CE Strickland, MD Williams, and A Bonneville. 2016. "An Overview of the Monitoring Program Design for the FutureGen 2.0 CO2 Storage Site." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 51:193-206. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.05.023
- Bonneville A, E Heggy, CE Strickland, J Normand, JA Dermond, Y Fang, and EC Sullivan. 2015. "Geophysical Monitoring of Ground Surface Deformation Associated with a Confined Aquifer Storage and Recovery Operation." Water Resources Management 29(13):4667-4682. doi:10.1007/s11269-015-1083-y
- Jung HB, KC Carroll, S Kabilan, DJ Heldebrant, DW Hoyt, L Zhong, T Varga, SA Stephens, L Adams, A Bonneville, AP Kuprat, and CA Fernandez. 2015. "Stimuli-Responsive/Rheoreversible Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids as a Greener Alternative to Support Geothermal and Fossil Energy Production." Green Chemistry 17(5):2799-2812. doi:10.1039/c4gc01917b
- Shao H, S Kabilan, SA Stephens, N Suresh, ANR Beck, T Varga, PF Martin, AP Kuprat, HB Jung, W Um, A Bonneville, DJ Heldebrant, KC Carroll, J Moore, and CA Fernandez. 2015. "Environmentally Friendly, Rheoreversible, Hydraulic-fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Systems." Geothermics 58:22-31. doi:10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.07.010
- Bonneville A, BN Nguyen, ML Stewart, Z Hou, CJ Murray, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Geomechanical Evaluation of Thermal Impact of Injected CO2 Temperature on a Geological Reservoir: Application to the FutureGen 2.0 Site." Energy Procedia 63:3298-3304. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.358
- Zhang ZF, SK White, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Local Sensitivity of Predicted CO2 Injectivity and Plume Extent to Model Inputs for the FutureGen 2.0 site." Energy Procedia 63:3805-3814. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.409
- Bonneville A, HB Jung, H Shao, S Kabilan, W Um, KC Carroll, T Varga, N Suresh, SA Stephens, and CA Fernandez. 2014. "Stimuli Responsive/Rheoreversible Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids for Enhanced Geothermal Energy Production (Part II)." In American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, December 15-19, 2014, San Francisco, California, pp. Abstract #H43A-0934. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Gilmore TJ, A Bonneville, VR Vermeul, FA Spane, ME Kelley, EC Sullivan, and J Hoffman. 2014. "Overview of the CO2 Geological Storage Site for the FutureGen Project in Morgan County Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 63:6361-6367. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.671
- Jung HB, S Kabilan, JP Carson, AP Kuprat, W Um, PF Martin, ME Dahl, TA Kafentzis, T Varga, SA Stephens, BW Arey, KC Carroll, A Bonneville, and CA Fernandez. 2014. "Wellbore cement fracture evolution at the cement-basalt caprock interface during geologic carbon sequestration." Applied Geochemistry 47:1-16. doi:10.1016/j.apgeochem.2014.04.010
- Strickland CE, VR Vermeul, A Bonneville, EC Sullivan, TC Johnson, FA Spane, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Geophysical Monitoring Methods Evaluation for the FutureGen 2.0 project." Energy Procedia 63:4394-4403. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.474
- Sullivan EC, BA Hardage, CE Strickland, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Application of three component VSP technology at seismically difficult sites: An example from the FutureGen 2.0 site, Morgan County, Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 63:5051-5062. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.535
- Vermeul VR, CE Strickland, PD Thorne, BN Bjornstad, RD Mackley, ME Kelley, EC Sullivan, MD Williams, JE Amonette, JL Downs, BG Fritz, JE Szecsody, A Bonneville, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "FutureGen 2.0 Monitoring Program: An Overview of the Monitoring Approach and Technologies Selected for Implementation." Energy Procedia 63:4062-4070. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.438
- Fang Y, BN Nguyen, KC Carroll, Z Xu, SB Yabusaki, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Development of a coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical model in discontinuous media for carbon sequestration." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 62:138-147. doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.05.002
- Bonneville A, TJ Gilmore, EC Sullivan, VR Vermeul, ME Kelley, SK White, D Appriou, BN Bjornstad, JL Gerst, N Gupta, JA Horner, C McNeil, MA Moody, WM Rike, FA Spane, PD Thorne, ER Zeller, ZF Zhang, J Hoffman, and KK Humphreys. 2013. "Evaluating the Suitability for CO2 Storage at the FutureGen 2.0 Site, Morgan County, Illinois, USA." Energy Procedia 37:6125-6132. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.541
- Mukhopadhyay S, Z Hou, LJ Gosink, DH Bacon, CA Doughty, JJ Li, L Wei, S Gasda, G Bacci, R Govindan, JQ Shi, H Yamamoto, R Ramanathan, JP Nicot, S Hosseini, J Birkholzer, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Model Comparison and Uncertainty Quantification for Geologic Carbon Storage: The Sim-SEQ Initiative." Energy Procedia 37:3867-3874. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.284
- Wang Y, C Zhang, N Wei, M Oostrom, TW Wietsma, X Li, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Experimental study of crossover from capillary to viscous fingering for supercritical CO2 - water displacement in a homogeneous pore network." Environmental Science & Technology 47(1):212-218. doi:10.1021/es3014503
- White SK, LJ Gosink, C Sivaramakrishnan, GD Black, S Purohit, DH Bacon, Z Hou, G Lin, I Gorton, and A Bonneville. 2013. "Implementations of a Flexible Framework for Managing Geologic Sequestration Modeling Projects." Energy Procedia 37:3971-3979. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.296
- Xu Z, Y Fang, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2012. "A fluid pressure and deformation analysis for geological sequestration of carbon dioxide." Computers & Geosciences 46:31-37.
- Xu Z, Y Fang, TD Scheibe, and A Bonneville. 2012. "A Hydro-mechanical Model and Analytical Solutions for Geomechanical Modeling of Carbon Dioxide Geological Sequestration." Chapter 7 in Energy Technology 2012: Carbon Dioxide Management and Other Technologies, ed. MD Salazar-Villalpando, et al. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Bonneville A, GD Black, I Gorton, PSY Hui, EM Murphy, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, MD White, MD Williams, and SK Wurstner. 2011. "Geologic Sequestration Software Suite (GS3): a collaborative approach to the management of geological GHG storage projects ." In Proceedings of the 10th Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies Conference (GHGT10), September 19-23, 2010, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia, vol. 4, ed. J Gale, C Hendriks W Turkenberg, pp. 3825-3832. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.318
- Bonneville A. 2011. "La capture et l'enfouissement doivent entrer dans une phase industrielle." La Recherche Juillet-Aout(454):100-101.
- Scheibe TD, AM Tartakovsky, UC Bandara, BJ Palmer, M Oostrom, C Zhang, and A Bonneville. 2011. "Physical and Numerical Models of Pore-Scale Trapping of CO2." In Les Rencontres Scientifiques d'IFP Energies Nouvelles: International Conference on Flows and Mechanics in Natural Porous Media from Pore to Field Scale - Pore2Field, November 16-18, 2011, Rueil-Malmaison, France. IFP Energies Nouvelles, Paris, France.
- Bonneville, A., L. Dosso and A. Hildenbrand, Temporal Evolution and Geochemical Variability of the South-Pacific Superplume Activity, Earth Plan. Sc. Letts, 244, 251-269, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2005.12.037, 2006.
- Goutorbe, B., Lucazeau, F. and Bonneville, A., Using neural networks to predict thermal conductivity from geophysical well logs, Geophysical Journal International, 166 (1), 115, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.02924.x, 2006.
- Adam, C. and A. Bonneville, The extent of the South Pacific Superswell, J. Geophys. Res, 110, B09408, doi:10.1029/2004JB003465, 2005.
- Bonneville, A., R. Le Suavé, L. Audin, V. Clouard, L. Dosso, P.Y. Gillot, A. Hildenbrand, P. Janney, K. Jordahl and Keitapu Maamaatuaiahutapu, Arago Seamount : the Missing Hot Spot found in the Austral Islands, Geology, 30, 11, 1023-1026, 2002.
- Clouard V. and A. Bonneville, How many Pacific Hotspots are fed by deep mantle plumes? Geology, 29, 8, 695-698, 2001.
- Bonneville A., R.P. Von Herzen and F. Lucazeau, Heat flow over Reunion hot spot track: aditional evidence for thermal rejuvenation of oceanic lithosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 22731-22747, 1997.
- Bonneville A., J.P. Barriot and R. Bayer, Evidence from geoid data of a hot spot origin for the Southern Mascarene Plateau and Mascarene islands, J. Geophys. Res., 95,4199-4212, 1988.
- Bonneville A., G. Vasseur and Y. Kerr, Satellite thermal infrared observations of mount Etna after the 17th March 1981 eruption, J. Volcanol. Geoth. Res., 24, 293-313, 1985.