Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Andre Coleman joined Battelle's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in August, 2000. Mr. Coleman specializes in geospatial sciences as applied to environmental and hydrologic processes. His primary specialties are in Geographic Information Sciences (GISc), GIS and hydrological model coupling, coupling of GIS and evolutionary computing/machine learning technologies, advanced terrain modeling and derivative extraction, remote-sensing, image processing, analog/digital photogrammetry, and surveying (topographic and hydrographic). Mr. Coleman brings fourteen years of experience to the science of geoinformatics applying spatial modeling, complex spatial data classifiers using artificial neural networks, real-time data harvesting, database design, GPS surveying (Real-Time Kinematic), theodolite-based surveying, single- and multi-beam bathymetry collection and processing, orthoimagery development, high-resolution photogrammetric digital terrain model development, LiDAR data processing and analysis, GIS applications development, metadata implementations, and the development of multi-agency/group data sharing cooperatives.
Other experience includes UNIX/Linux systems administration including distributed/cluster computing, hardware and software needs assessment, task automation, custom system tools development.
- Integration and advancement of Geographic Information Sciences for hydrologic and hydraulic modeling
- Machine learning, evolutionary computing, and data fusion technologies for pattern recognition, classification, and optimization of complex high-dimensional datasets
- Landscape erosion / sediment transport
- Watershed modeling / snow hydrology
- Real-time data harvesting for near real-time modeling
- Digital photogrammetry and digital terrain model development and analysis
- Bathymetric and terrestrial high-accuracy GPS surveying
- Distributed and cluster computing
Education and Credentials
- M.S., cum laude, Geoinformatics, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands, 2008
- B.S., Geography and Earth Resources, Utah State University, 1995
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Association of American Geographers
- American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing
- American Geophysical Union
Awards and Recognitions
- International Award of Academic Excellence in Geoinformatics, 2008
- Li H, MS Wigmosta, H Wu, M Huang, Y Ke, AM Coleman, and LYR Leung. 2013. "A Physically Based Runoff Routing Model for Land Surface and Earth System Models." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14(3):808-828. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-015.1
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2013. "A GIS COST MODEL TO ASSESS THE AVAILABILITY OF FRESHWATER, SEAWATER, AND SALINE GROUNDWATER FOR ALGAL BIOFUEL PRODUCTION IN THE UNITED STATES." Environmental Science & Technology 47(9):4840-4849. doi:10.1021/es304135b
- Ke Y, AM Coleman, and HL Diefenderfer. 2013. "Temporal Land Cover Analysis for Net Ecosystem Improvement." Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology 13(1):84-96.
- Sather NK, AB Borde, HL Diefenderfer, JA Serkowski, AM Coleman, and GE Johnson. 2013. The Oncor Geodatabase for the Columbia Estuary Ecosystem Restoration Program: Handbook of Data Reduction Procedures, Workbooks, and Exchange Templates. PNNL-22922, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Diefenderfer HL, GE Johnson, JR Skalski, SA Breithaupt, and AM Coleman. 2012. "Application of the Diminishing Returns Concept in the Hydroecologic Restoration of Riverscapes." Landscape Ecology 27(5):671-682. doi:10.1007/s10980-012-9713-8
- Diefenderfer HL, GE Johnson, NK Sather, AM Coleman, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, Y Ke, E Dawley, and JR Skalski. 2012. Evaluation of Life History Diversity, Habitat Connectivity, and Survival Benefits Associated with Habitat Restoration Actions in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, Annual Report 2011. PNNL-21202, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "An Assessment of Land Availability and Price in the Coterminous United States for Conversion to Algal Biofuel Production." Biomass & Bioenergy 47:483-497. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.09.060
- Johnson GE, HL Diefenderfer, RM Thom, GC Roegner, BD Ebberts, JR Skalski, AB Borde, E Dawley, AM Coleman, DL Woodruff, SA Breithaupt, A Cameron, C Corbett, EE Donley, DA Jay, Y Ke, K Leffler, C McNeil, C Studebaker, and JD Tagestad. 2012. Evaluation of Cumulative Ecosystem Response to Restoration Projects in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, 2010. PNNL-20296, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ke Y, LYR Leung, M Huang, AM Coleman, H Li, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "Development of High Resolution Land Surface Parameters for the Community Land Model." Geoscientific Model Development 5(6):1341-1362. doi:10.5194/gmd-5-1341-2012
- Diefenderfer HL, GE Johnson, NK Sather, JR Skalski, EM Dawley, AM Coleman, KG Ostrand, KC Hanson, DL Woodruff, EE Donley, Y Ke, KE Buenau, AJ Bryson, and RL Townsend. 2011. Evaluation of Life History Diversity, Habitat Connectivity, and Survival Benefits Associated with Habitat Restoration Actions in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, Annual Report 2010. PNNL-20295 Final, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Li H, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, Y Ke, AM Coleman, LYR Leung, A Wang, and DM Ricciuto. 2011. "Evaluating runoff simulations from the Community Land Model 4.0 using observations from flux towers and a mountainous watershed." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D24120. doi:10.1029/2011JD016276
- Prasad R, LF Hibler, AM Coleman, and DL Ward. 2011. Design-Basis Flood Estimation for Site Characterization at Nuclear Power Plants in the United States of America. PNNL-20091; NUREG/CR-7046, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Roesijadi G, AM Coleman, C Judd, FB Van Cleve, RM Thom, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, MS Wigmosta, and JA Ward. 2011. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan . PNNL-21087, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wigmosta MS, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, MH Huesemann, and LJ Lane. 2011. "National Microalgae Biofuel Production Potential and Resource Demand." Water Resources Research 47:Article No. W00H04. doi:10.1029/2010WR009966
- Coleman AM, DL Ward, KB Larson, and JW Lettrick. 2010. Development of a high-resolution bathymetry dataset for the Columbia River through the Hanford Reach. PNNL-19878, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Diefenderfer HL, GE Johnson, NK Sather, JR Skalski, EM Dawley, and AM Coleman. 2010. Evaluation of Life History Diversity, Habitat Connectivity, and Survival Benefits Associated with Habitat Restoration Actions in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, Annual Report 2009. PNNL-19410, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Johnson GE, HL Diefenderfer, AB Borde, AJ Bryson, A Cameron, AM Coleman, C Corbett, EM Dawley, BD Ebberts, R Kauffman, GC Roegner, MT Russell, A Silva, JR Skalski, RM Thom, J Vavrinec, III, DL Woodruff, and SA Zimmerman. 2010. Evaluating Cumulative Ecosystem Response to Restoration Projects in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, 2009. PNNL-19440, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Coleman AM. 2009. "Adaptive Classification of Landscape Process and Function: An Integration of Geoinformatics and Self-Organizing Maps." In Geospatial Crossroads at Geoinformatics Forum 2009, pp. 11-22. Wichmann-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Whelan G, ND Tenney, MA Pelton, AM Coleman, DL Ward, JG Droppo, Jr, PD Meyer, KE Dorow, and RY Taira. 2009. Techniques to Access Databases and Integrate Data for Hydrologic Modeling. PNNL-18244, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wigmosta MS, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and AM Coleman. 2009. "Hydrologic and Erosion Models To Assess Land Use and Management Practices Affecting Soil Erosion." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 14(1):27-41.
- Coleman AM. 2008. An Adaptive Landscape Classification Procedure using Geoinformatics and Artificial Neural Networks. PNNL-17777, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Diefenderfer HL, AM Coleman, AB Borde, and IA Sinks. 2008. "Hydraulic Geometry and Microtopography of Tidal Freshwater Forested Wetlands and Implications for Restoration, Columbia River, U.S.A." International Journal of Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology 8(2-4):339-361. doi:10.2478/v10104-009-0027-7
- Coleman AM, MS Wigmosta, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and D Roberts. 2008. "A GIS-based Adaptive Management Decision Support System to Develop a Multi-Objective Framework: A case study utilizing GIS technologies and physically-based models to archieve improved decision making for site management." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 4(2):269 - 284 .
- Coleman AM, and WD Webber. 2007. "GeoSpatial Infrastructure at the U.S. Department of Energy's Hanford Site." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 4(1):83-95. doi:10.1300/J230v04n01_05
- Wigmosta MS, MK Gill, AM Coleman, R Prasad, and LW Vail. 2007. "A Distributed Modeling System for Short-Term to Seasonal Ensemble Streamflow Forecasting in Snowmelt Dominated Basins." In Proceedings of the 75th Annual Western Snow Conference, April 16-19, 2007, Kona, HI, ed. R Julander, pp. 187-194. Western Snow Conference, Soda Springs, CA.
- Coleman AM, and WD Webber. 2005. "GIS Operations at the U.S. Department of Energy's Hanford Site: A Review of the Current Status and a Proposed Action to Ensure Long-Term Data Sustainability ." In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Annual ESRI International User Conference, p. 12 pp. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands, CA.
- Waichler SR, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2004. Natural Recharge to the Unconfined Aquifer System on the Hanford Site from the Greater Cold Creek Watershed: Progress Report 2004. PNNL-14717, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Cook CB, MC Richmond, AM Coleman, CL Rakowski, PS Titzler, and MD Bleich. 2003. Numerically Simulating the Hydrodynamic and Water Quality Environment for Migrating Salmon in the Lower Snake River. PNNL-14297, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ghan SJ, X Bian, AG Hunt, and AM Coleman. 2002. "The Thermodynamic Influence of Subgrid Orography in a Global Climate Model." Climate Dynamics 20(1):31-44.
- O’Brien LE and AM Coleman (2000) Testing the Application of Digital Photogrammetry to Monitor Topographic Changes of Sandbars in the Colorado River Ecosystem. Final Report to Grand Canyon Monitoring and Research Center Cooperative Agreement 1425-98-FC-40-22640, Modification 002. October, 2000.