Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Elliott has over 35 years of research and project management experience in the Battelle system at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). His work has mainly been directed toward development of fuels and chemicals from biomass and waste. His experience is primarily in high-pressure batch and continuous-flow processing reactor systems. This research has also involved him in extensive study of catalyst systems. In addition to process development, chemical and physical analysis has also been a significant part of his work. While at Battelle, Mr. Elliott’s research has involved such subject areas as biomass liquefaction and hydroprocessing of product oils, catalytic hydrothermal gasification of wet biomass and wastewaters, and chemicals production from renewable sources. His work in biomass liquefaction has involved him in International Energy Agency Bioenergy tasks as the representative for the U.S. and currently as the leader of the Task 34 on Pyrolysis.
- Chemical process development
- Biomass conversion to fuels and chemicals by thermochemical processing
- Catalytic processing in condensed phases
Education and Credentials
- M.B.A., Operations and Systems Analysis, University of Washington
- B.S., Chemistry (Departmental Honors), Montana State University
Affiliations and Professional Service
Awards and Recognitions
- Named a Battelle Distinguished Inventor, 2004
- 2 PNNL Outstanding Performance Awards for Program Development and Project Management, 1999
- Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award, Economic Conversion of Cellulosic Biomass to Chemicals, Environmental Protection Agency, 1999
- R&D 100 Award, Petroleum Sludge Treatment, Research & Development Magazine, 1991
- R&D 100 Award, TEES Biomass Gasification System, Research & Development Magazine, 1989
- Special Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium, 1989
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, G Roesijadi, AH Zacher, and JK Magnuson. 2014. "Hydrothermal Processing of Macroalgal Feedstocks in Continuous-Flow Reactors ." ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2(2):207-215. doi:10.1021/sc400251p
- Jones SB, Y Zhu, DB Anderson, RT Hallen, DC Elliott, AJ Schmidt, KO Albrecht, TR Hart, MG Butcher, C Drennan, LJ Snowden-Swan, R Davis, and C Kinchin. 2014. Process Design and Economics for the Conversion of Algal Biomass to Hydrocarbons: Whole Algae Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Upgrading. PNNL-23227, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Sudasinghe N, B Dungan, P Lammers, KO Albrecht, DC Elliott, RT Hallen, and T Schaub. 2014. "High resolution FT-ICR mass spectral analysis of bio-oil and residual water soluble organics produced by hydrothermal liquefaction of the marine microalga Nannochloropsis salina." Fuel 119:47-56. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.019
- Zacher AH, MV Olarte, DM Santosa, DC Elliott, and SB Jones. 2014. "A Review and Perspective of Recent Bio-Oil Hydrotreating Research ." Green Chemistry 16(2):885-896. doi:10.1039/c3gc41782d
- Elliott DC. 2013. "Transportation fuels from biomass via fast pyrolysis and hydroprocessing." Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment 2(5):525-533. doi:10.1002/wene.74
- Zhu Y, KO Albrecht, DC Elliott, RT Hallen, and SB Jones. 2013. "Development of Hydrothermal Liquefaction and Upgrading Technologies for Lipid-Extracted Algae Conversion to Liquid Fuels." Algal Research 2(4):455-464. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2013.07.003
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, and TR Hart. 2013. "Hydroprocessing Bio-oil and Products Separation for Coke Production." ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 1(4):389-392. doi:10.1021/sc300103y
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, AJ Schmidt, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, MV Olarte, AH Zacher, KO Albrecht, RT Hallen, and JE Holladay. 2013. "Process Development for Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Algae Feedstocks in a Continuous-Flow Reactor ." Algal Research 2(4):445-454.
- Meier D, B van de Beld, AV Bridgwater, DC Elliott, A Oasmaa, and F Preto. 2013. "State-of-the-Art of Fast Pyrolysis in IEA Bioenergy Member Countries." Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 20:619-641. doi:10.1016/j.rser.2012.11.061
- Elliott DC, A Oasmaa, D Meier, F Preto, and AV Bridgwater. 2012. "Results of the IEA Round Robin on Viscosity and Aging of Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oils: Long-Term Tests and Repeatability." Energy and Fuels 26(12):7362-7366. doi:10.1021/ef301607v
- Elliott DC, A Oasmaa, F Preto, D Meier, and AV Bridgwater. 2012. "Results of the IEA Round Robin on Viscosity and Stability of Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oils." Energy and Fuels 26(6):3769-3776. doi:10.1021/ef300384t
- Elliott DC, SJ Lee, and TR Hart. 2012. Stabilization of Fast Pyrolysis Oil: Post Processing Final Report . PNNL-21549, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, MV Olarte, AH Zacher, and Y Solantausta. 2012. "Catalytic Hydroprocessing of Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oil from Pine Sawdust." Energy and Fuels 26(6):3891-3896. doi:10.1021/ef3004587
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, MV Olarte, and AH Zacher. 2012. "Chemical Processing in High-Pressure Aqueous Environments. 9. Process Development for Catalytic Gasification of Algae Feedstocks." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 51(33):10768-10777. doi:10.1021/ie300933w
- Keiser J, M Howell, RM Connatser, S Lewis, and DC Elliott. 2012. "CORROSIVITY AND COMPOSITION OF RAW AND TREATED PYROLYSIS OILS." In Proceedings of 2012 TAPPI PEERS Conference and Research Forum on Recycling: Building a Sustainable Future, October 14-18, 2012, Savannah, Georgia. Curran, Red Hook, NY.
- Oasmaa A, A Kalli, C Lindfors, DC Elliott, DL Springer, C Peacocke, and D Chiaramonti. 2012. "Guidelines for Transportation, Handling, and Use of Fast Pyrolysis Bio-Oil. Part 1. Flammability and Toxicity." Energy and Fuels 26(6):3864-3873. doi:10.1021/ef300418d
- Oasmaa A, E Kuoppala, and DC Elliott. 2012. "Development of the Basis for an Analytical Protocol for Feeds and Products of Bio-oil Hydrotreatment." Energy and Fuels 26(4):2454-2460. doi:10.1021/ef300252y
- Elliott DC. 2011. "Hydrothermal Processing." Chapter 7 in Thermochemical Processing of Biomass:Conversion into Fuels, Chemicals and Power, ed. Robert C. Brown, pp. 200-231. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Christensen ED, G Chupka, J Luecke, TD Smurthwaite, TL Alleman, K Iisa, JA Franz, DC Elliott, and RL McCormick. 2011. "Analysis of Oxygenated Compounds in Hydrotreated Biomass Fast Pyrolysis Oil Distillate Fractions." Energy and Fuels 25(11):5462-5471. doi:10.1021/ef201357h
- Elliott DC. 2010. "Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Biomass." IEA Bioenergy Task 34 Pyrolysis (28):21-23.
- Elliott DC. 2010. "Status of Process Development for Pyrolysis of Biomass for Liquid Fuels and Chemicals Production." International Sustainable Energy Review 4(2):56-57.
- Nowakowski DJ, AV Bridgwater, DC Elliott, D Meier, and P de Wild. 2010. "Lignin Fast Pyrolysis: Results from an International Collaboration." Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 88(1):53-72.
- Oasmaa A, DC Elliott, and J Korhonen. 2010. "Acidity of biomass fast pyrolysis bio-oils." Energy and Fuels 24(12):6548-6554. doi:10.1021/ef100935r
- Elliott DC, and TR Hart. 2009. "Catalytic Hydroprocessing of Chemical Models for Bio-oil." Energy and Fuels 23(2):631-637. doi:10.1021/ef8007773
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, TR Hart, LJ Rotness, Jr, AH Zacher, DM Santosa, C Valkenburt, SB Jones, and SA Tjokro Rahardjo. 2009. Catalytic Hydrothermal Gasification of Lignin-Rich Biorefinery Residues and Algae Final Report . PNNL-18944, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, GG Neuenschwander, LJ Rotness, Jr, and AH Zacher. 2009. "Catalytic Hydroprocessing of Biomass Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oil to Produce Hydrocarbon Products." Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy 28(3):441-449.
- Jones SB, C Valkenburt, CW Walton, DC Elliott, JE Holladay, DJ Stevens, C Kinchin, and S Czernik. 2009. Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: A Design Case. PNNL-18284, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Jones SB, C Valkenburt, CW Walton, DC Elliott, JE Holladay, DJ Stevens, C Kinchin, and S Czernik. 2009. Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: A Design Case. PNNL-18284 Rev. 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Oasmaa A, DC Elliott, and S Muller. 2009. "Quality Control in Fast Pyrolysis Bio-Oil Production and Use." Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy 28(3):404-409.
- Elliott DC, J Holmgren, R Marinangelli, P nair, and R Bain. 2008. "Consider upgrading pyrolysis oils into renewable fuels." Hydrocarbon Processing 87(9):95-103.
- Elliott DC. 2008. "Catalytic Hydrothermal Gasification of Biomass." Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 2, (3,):254-265. doi:10.1002/bbb.74
- Brown MD, and DC Elliott. 2008. Wet Gasification of Ethanol Residue: A Preliminary Assessment. PNNL-17846, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, and GG Neuenschwander. 2008. "CATALYTIC HYDROTHERMAL GASIFICATION OF BIOMASS FOR THE PRODUCTION OF HYDROGEN-CONTAINING FEEDSTOCK (METHANE)." In Petroleum Preprints: Papers Presented at the 235th ACS National Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, April 6-10, 2008., vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 73-74. Division of Petroleum Chemistry, American Chemical Society, Washington DC.
- Holmgren J, PN Nair, DC Elliott, R Bain, and R Marinangelli. 2008. "CONVERTING PYROLYSIS OILS TO RENEWABLE TRANSPORT FUELS: PROCESSING CHALLENGES & OPPORTUNITIES ." In National Petrochemical and Refiners Association Annual Meeting, March 9-11, 2008 San Diego, CA , pp. AM-08-81. NPRA , Washington DC.
- Elliott DC. 2007. "Historical Developments in Hydroprocessing Bio-oils." Energy and Fuels 21(3):1792-1815.
- Holmgren J, R Marinangelli, T Marker, M McCall, J Petri, S Czernik, DC Elliott, and D Shonnard. 2007. "Opportunities for Biorenewables in Petroleum Refineries." In PETROTECH-2007 - 7th International Petroleum Conference and Exhibition, January 15-19, 2007, New Delhi, India. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Hu J, Y Wang, C Cao, DC Elliott, DJ Stevens, and JF White. 2007. "Conversion of Biomass-Derived Syngas to Alcohols and C2 Oxygenates Using Supported Rh Catalysts in a Microchannel Reactor." Catalysis Today 120(1):90-95. doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2006.07.006
- Ro KS, K Cantrell, DC Elliott, and PG Hunt. 2007. "Catalytic Wet Gasification of Municipal and Animal Wastes." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 46:8839-8845.
- Elliott DC. 2006. "Catalytic Hydrogenation of Bio-Oil for Chemicals and Fuels." ThermalNet: PyNe/GasNet/CombNet (1):5.
- Elliott DC, JK Magnuson, and CF Wend. 2006. 18.104.22.168 Feed Processing and Handling DL2 Final Report . PNNL-16079, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, TR Hart, and GG Neuenschwander. 2006. "Chemical Processing in High-Pressure Aqueous Environments. 8. Improved Catalysts for Hydrothermal Gasification." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 45(11):3776-81.
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, TR Hart, J Hu, AE Solana, and C Cao. 2006. "Hydrogenation of Bio-oil for Chemicals and Fuels Production." In Science in Thermal and Chemical Biomass Conversion, vol. 2, ed. AV Bridgwater and DGB Boocock, pp. 1536-1546. CPL Press, Speen, United Kingdom.
- Holmgren J, B Arena, R Marinangelli, M McCall, T Marker, J Petri, S Czernik, DC Elliott, and D Shonnard. 2006. "Opportunities for Biorenewables in Petroleum Refineries." In Rio Oil & Gas Expo and Conference, September 11-14, 2006, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Instituto Brasileiro de Petroleo e Gas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Lei C, Y Shin, JK Magnuson, GE Fryxell, LL Lasure, DC Elliott, J Liu, and EJ Ackerman. 2006. "Characterization of Functionalized Nanoporous Supports for Protein Confinement ." Nanotechnology 17(22):5531-5538. doi:10.1088/0957-4484/17/22/001
- Elliott DC. 2005. "The Use of Catalysts in Near-Critical Water Processing." Chapter T13-KN in Joint 20th AIRAPT - 43th EHPRG International Conference on High-Pressure Science and Technology. Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Cao C, Y Wang, SB Jones, J Hu, XS Li, DC Elliott, and DJ Stevens. 2005. "Microchannel Catalytic Processes for Converting Biomass-Derived Syngas to Transportation Fuels." Chapter 17 in Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification, ACS Symposium Series, vol. 914, ed. Yong Wang and Jamelyn D. Holladay, pp. 273-284. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- Chen S, Z Wen, W Liao, C Liu, RL Kincaid, JH Harrison, DC Elliott, MD Brown, and DJ Stevens. 2005. "Studies into Using Manure in a Biorefinery Concept." In 26th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals held in Chattanooga, TN Sept 5, 2004. Published in Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology , vol. 124, no. 1-3, pp. 999-1016. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ.
- Hu J, Y Wang, C Cao, DC Elliott, DJ Stevens, and JF White. 2005. "Conversion of Biomass Syngas to DME Using a Microchannel Reactor." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 44(6):1722-1727.
- Matsumura Y, T Minowa, B Potic, SR Kersten, W Prins, WP van Swaaij, B van de Beld, DC Elliott, GG Neuenschwander, A Kruse, and MJ Antal. 2005. "Biomass Gasification in Near- and Super-critical Water: Status and Prospectus ." Biomass & Bioenergy 29(4):269-292. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2005.04.006
- Elliott DC. 2004. "Biomass, Chemicals from." In The Encyclopedia of Energy, vol. 1, ed. C. J. Cleveland, pp. 163-174. Elsevier, Inc., Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, TR Hart, and RS Butner. 2004. "Low-Temperature Catalytic Gasification of Wet Biomass Residues." In Second World Biomass Conference, Biomass for Energy, Industry, and Climate Protection, vol. I, ed. Van Swaaij, W.P.M. et al., pp. 746-749. ETA-Florence and WIP-Munich, Florence, Italy.
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, TR Hart, RS Butner, AH Zacher, MH Engelhard, JS Young, and DE McCready. 2004. "Chemical Processing in High-Pressure Aqueous Environments. 7. Process Development for Catalytic Gasification of Wet Biomass Feedstocks." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 43(9):1999-2004.
- Elliott DC, KL Peterson, DS Muzatko, EV Alderson, TR Hart, and GG Neuenschwander. 2004. "The Effects of Trace Contaminants on Catalytic Processing of Biomass-Derived Feedstocks ." Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 115(1-3):807-825.
- Elliott DC. 2003. "A New Start for Bio-Oil Upgrading by Hydrogenation." PyNe (16):1.
- Chen S, W Liao, C Liu, Z Wen, RL Kincaid, JH Harrison, DC Elliott, MD Brown, AE Solana, and DJ Stevens. 2003. Value-Added Chemicals from Animal Manure. PNNL-14495, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, TR Hart, AH Zacher, and RS Butner. 2003. "Low-Temperature Catalytic Gasification of Wet Biomass." Chapter TH-Envisioning the Bioref in AIChE 2003 Annual Meeting Conference Proceedings, p. n/a. AIChE, New York, NY.
- Elliott DC, RJ Orth, J Gao, TA Werpy, DE Eakin, AJ Schmidt, and GG Neuenschwander. 2002. "Biorefinery Concept Development Based On Wheat Flour Milling." In Fuel Chemistry Division Preprints American Chemical Society National Meeting, April 2002, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 361-362. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- Elliott DC, RJ Orth, TA Werpy, J Gao, DE Eakin, AJ Schmidt, GG Neuenschwander, J Murry, A Flagg, L Lahman, D Mennel, CJ Lin, and R Landucci. 2002. "Biorefinery Concept Development Based on Wheat Flour Milling." In Bioenergy 2002, ed. John Crockett and Charles L. Peterson, p. 35. Pacific Regional Biomass Energy Program, Boise, ID.
- Elliott DC, CF Wend, and MS Alnajjar. 2001. "Lactose Processing Technology - Creating New Utilization Opportunities." In Proceedings of the 38th Marschall Cheese Seminar: Tools of the Trade, pp. 15-24. California Dairy Research Foundation, Visalia, CA.
- Elliott DC. 2001. "Issues in Value-Added Products from Biomass." In Progress in Thermochemical Biomass Conversion, vol. 2, ed. A. V. Bridgwater, pp. 1186-1196. Blackwell Science, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Elliott DC, SW Fitzpatrick, JJ Bozell, JL Jarnefeld, RJ Bilski, L Moens, JG Frye, Y Wang, and GG Neuenschwander. 2000. "Production of Levulinic Acid and Use as a Platform Chemical for Derived Products." In Biomass, a Growth of Opportunity in Green Energy and Value-Added Products: Proceedings of the 4th Biomass Conference of the Americas, vol. 1, pp. 595-600. Elsevier Science, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Darab JG, GG Neuenschwander, DC Elliott, and JG Frye. 1999. "Production, Consolidation, Sintering, and Stability of Novel Nanocrystalline Zirconia Catalyst Support Powders." In Advanced Catalytic Materials-1998; Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings , vol. 549, pp. 67-72. Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA.
- Elliott DC, GG Neuenschwander, MR Phelps, TR Hart, AH Zacher, and LJ Silva. 1999. "Chemical Processing in High-Pressure Aqueous Environments. 6. Demonstration of Catalytic Gasification for Chemical Manufacturing Wastewater Cleanup in Industrial Plants." Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 38(3):879-883.
- Hooverman RH, JA Coffman, and DC Elliott. 1979. "Biomass Liquefaction by Thermolysis: Interim Report on Batch Reactor Experiments." In Proceedings of the 9th Biomass Thermochemical Conversion Contractors' Meeting, November 8, 1979, Rolla, Missouri. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.