Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Hong Wang received the BSc, MEng and PhD degrees from Huainan University of Mining Engineering (AHUST) and Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) in P R China 1982, 1984 and 1987, respectively. He then worked as a postdoc at Salford, Brunel and Southampton Universities between 1988 and 1992 in the United Kingdom. He joined University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in 1992 as a lecturer, and was then promoted to a Senior Lecturer in August 1997, to a Reader in August 1999, and to a full chair professor in April, 2002. He had been the deputy Head of Paper Science Department and the director of the UMIST Control Systems Centre, and was a university senate member during his time in Manchester. Hong Wang joined PNNL in February 2016 as a chief scientist and laboratory fellow working in the area of advanced modelling, control and optimization of complex dynamic systems. Dr. Wang is the lead author of five books and has published over 300 papers in international journals and conferences, and has been invited to give keynote/plenary talks at some international conferences and workshops. He originated the research on stochastic distribution control where the main purpose of control input design is to make the shape of the output probability density functions to follow a targeted function. This area alone has found a wide spectrum of potential applications in modeling, data-mining, signal processing, optimization and distributed control systems design.
- Stochastic Control System Design
- Advanced Modeling and Control for Complex Industrial Processes
- Fault Diagnosis
- Tolerant Control
Education and Credentials
- BSc degree, Huainan University of Mining Engineering,China, 1982
- MEng degree, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, 1984
- PhD degrees Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, 1987
Affiliations and Professional Service
- IET, Fellow
- Institute of Measurement Control, Fellow
- International Federation of Automatic Control, Member
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Associate Editor
- IEEE Transactions of Automation Science and Engineering, Associate Editor
- IPC, Member
- Journal of Measurement and Control, Guest Editor
- IMEchE Journal on Systems and Control Engineering, Guest Editor
- IET Control Theory and Applications, Guest Editor
- UK Automatic Control Council, Executive Committee Member
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Oversea Scholarship Award, Chinese National Sciences Foundation, 2002
- Outstanding Oversea Academics Award, The Chinese Academy of Science, 2004
- Best Paper award, International Conference on Control, 2006
- Jasbar Memorial Prize for Outstanding Contribution in Science and Technology Development, 2006
- Best Theory Paper Award, World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, 2014
- One of 5 finalists for Best Application Paper Award, IFAC World Congress, 2014
- Tian B, Z Zuo, X Yan, and H Wang. 2017. "A fixed-time output feedback control scheme for double integrator systems." Automatica 80:17-24. doi:10.1016/j.automatica.2017.01.007
- Wang H, S Wang, R Fan, and Z Zhang. 2016. Minimizing Uncertainties Impact in Decision Making with an Applicability Study for Economic Power Dispatch. PNNL-26084, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zhang Q, J Zhou, H Wang, and T Chai. 2016. "Output feedback stabilization for a class of multi-variable bilinear stochastic systems with stochastic coupling attenuation." IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 11(4):1-7. doi:10.1109/TAC.2016.2604683
- Zhou Y, Q Zhang, and H Wang. 2016. "Enhanced Performance Controller Design for Stochastic Systems by Adding Extra State Estimation onto the Existing Closed Loop Control." In UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2016), August 31- September 2, 2016, Belfast, United Kingdom. IEEE, PISCATAWAY, NJ. doi:10.1109/CONTROL.2016.7737531
- M. F. Ren, J. H. Zhang and H. Wang, non-Gaussian System Control and Filtering, Chinese Science Publishers, July, 2016.
- B. Tian, L. P. Yin and H. Wang, Finite Time Reentry Attitude Control Based on Adaptive Multivariable Disturbance Compensation, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 8, pp. 5889 – 5898, 2015.
- J. L. Zhou, X. Wang, J. F. Zhang, H. Wang and G. H. Yang , A new minimum entropy controller design and the control loop performance assessment for output stochastic distribution systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 60, pp. 2524 - 2529, 2015.
- J. Zhu, G. H. Yang, H. Wang and F.L. Wang, Fault Estimation for a Class of Nonlinear Systems Based on Intermediate Estimator, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 61, No. 9, pp. 2518 – 2524, 2015.
- T Chai, Y Jia, H B Li and H Wang, An intelligent switching control for a mixed separation thickener process, Control Engineering Practice, Vol, 57, pp. 61–71, 2015.
- Y. Liu, H. Wang and L. Guo, Observer-based feedback controller design for a class of stochastic systems with non-Gaussian variables, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, No. 5, pp. 1445 - 1450, 2015.
- Y. Ren, A. Wang and H. Wang, Fault Diagnosis and Tolerant Control for Discrete Stochastic Distribution Collaborative Systems, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part. A, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 462 – 471, 2015.
- J Zhou, H Yue, J Zhang and H Wang, Iterative learning double closed-loop structure for modeling and controller design of output stochastic distribution control systems. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 22, pp. 2261- 2272, 2014.
- Jinglin Zhou , Guotao Li and Hong Wang, Robust tracking controller design for non-Gaussian singular uncertainty stochastic distribution systems, Automatica, Vol. 50, pp. 1296-1303, 2014.
- M Ren, J Zhang and H Wang, Minimized tracking error randomness control for nonlinear multivariate and non-Gaussian systems using the generalized density evolution equation, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, VOL. 59, NO. 9, pp. 2486 – 2490, 2014.
- T Chai, J Ding, G Yu and H Wang, Integrated optimization for the automation systems of mineral processing, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 11, pp. 965 – 982, 2014.
- Y Liu, H Wang and Z H Hou, Sliding mode control design for nonlinear systems using probability density function shaping, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 332-343, 2014.
- Y Zhang, T Chai, J Sun, K Chen and H Wang, A novel estimation algorithm based on data and low-order models for virtual unmmodelled dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 2156 - 2166, 2014.
- Y Liu, H Wang and Z H Hou, UKF based nonlinear filtering using minimum entropy criterion, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 61, No. 20, pp. 4988- 4999, 2013.
- Yonggang Wang, Tianyou Chai, Jun Fu, Jing Sun, and Hong Wang, Adaptive decoupling switching control of the forced-circulation evaporation system using neural networks, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 964 – 974, MAY 2013.
- Zhang, Y. ; Chai, T. ; Wang, H. ; Chen, X. ; Su, C., An improved estimation method for unmodeled dynamics based on ANFIS and its application to controller design, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, VOL. 21, NO. 6, pp. 989 – 1005, 2013.
- Jinliang Ding, Tianyou Chai, Hong Wang, and Xinkai Chen Knowledge-based global operation of mineral processing under uncertainty, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 849 - 861, 2012.
- L. Yao, J. Qin, H. Wang and B. Jiang, Design of new fault diagnosis and fault tolerant control scheme for non-Gaussian singular stochastic distribution systems, Automatica, Vol. 48, pp. 2305 – 2313, 2012.
- P Afshar, F, Yang and H Wang, ILC-based minimum entropy filter design and implementation for non-Gaussian stochastic systems, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 960 – 970, 2012.
- T. Y. Chai，L. Y. Zhang，C. Y. Su and H. Wang, An intelligent mill load switching control of the pulverizing system for an alumina sintering process, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 677 – 687, 2012.
- W Wang, T Chai, W Yu, H Wang and C Su, Modeling component concentration of sodium aluminate solution via Hammerstein recurrent neural networks, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 20, pp. 971 – 982, 2012.
- X Dai, Z Gao, T Breikin, H Wang, High-gain observer-based estimation of parameter variations with delay alignment, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 726 – 732, 2012.
- Afshar, Puya; Brown, Martin; Maciejowski, Jan; Wang, Hong, Data-based robust multiobjective optimisation of interconnected processes: energy efficiency case study in papermaking, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, pp. 2324 – 2338, 2011.
- Chai, Tianyou; Yajun, Zhang; Wang, Hong; Su, Chun-Yi; Sun, Jing, Data based virtual un-modeled dynamics driven multivariable nonlinear adaptive switching control, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, pp. 2154 – 2172, 2011.
- J. Ding, T Y Chai and H Wang, Off-line modelling for product quality prediction of mineral processing using modelling error PDF shaping and entropy minimization, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, pp. 408 - 419, 2011.
- Liu, Qiang; Chai, Tianyou; Wang, Hong; Qin, S.Joe, Data-driven and model-driven tension estimation and fault diagnosis of cold rolling continuous annealing processes, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, pp. 2284 – 2295, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, T. Y. Chai and H. Wang, A nonlinear control method based on ANFIS and multiple models for a class of SISO nonlinear systems and its application, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, No. 11, pp. 1783-1795, 2011.
- Jinglin Zhou, Donghua Zhou, Hong Wang, Lei Guo, Tianyou Chai, Distribution function tracking filter design using hybrid characteristic functions, Automatica, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 101-109, 2010.
- L. Guo, and H. Wang., Stochastic Distribution Control Systems Design: A Convex Optimization Approach (ISBN 978 – 1 – 84996 – 029 – 8), total 191 pages, Springer-Verlag, London, April, 2010.
- Y Zhang, T Y Chai, H Wang, J Fu, An adaptive generalized predictive control method for nonlinear systems based on ANFIS and multiple models, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 18, pp. 1070 – 1082, 2010.
- A. Nobakhti and H Wang, Noniterative H-infinity based model order reduction of LTI systems using Linear Matrix Inequalities, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 494 - 501, 2009.
- H. Wang, P. Afshar, ILC-based fixed-structure controller design for output PDF shaping in stochastic systems using LMI techniques, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 760 – 773, 2009.
- L Guo, P Li, H. Wang and T Y Chai, Entropy optimization filtering for fault isolation of nonlinear non-Gaussian stochastic systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 54, pp. 804 – 810, 2009.
- P Afshar, and Hong Wang, and T Y Chai An ILC-based adaptive control for general stochastic systems with strictly decreasing entropy, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 471 – 482, 2009.
- P Zhou, T Chai and H Wang, Intelligent optimal-setting control for grinding circuits of mineral processing process, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 730 – 743, 2009.
- X. Dai, Z. Gao, T. Breikin and H Wang, The use of zero assignment for robust H_infinity fault detection filter design, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol., Vol., 57, No. 4., pp. 1363-1372, 2009.
- Xuewu Dai, Zhiwei Gao, Tim Breikin, and Hong Wang, Disturbance attenuation in fault detection of gas turbine engines: a discrete robust observer design, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part-C, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 234 – 239, 2009.
- Yang Yi, Lei Guo and Hong Wang, Adaptive statistic tracking control based on two steps neural networks with time delays, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 420 – 429, 2009.
- Yang Yi, Lei Guo and Hong Wang, Constrained PI tracking control for output probability distributions based on two-step neural networks, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I, Vol. 56, No. 7, pp. 1416 – 1426, 2009.
- Gao Z., Dai X., Breikin T., Wang H. Novel parameter identification by using a novel parameter identification by using a high-gain observer with application to a gas turbine engine, IEEE Trans on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 271 – 279, 2008.
- L. Guo, H. Wang and A. P. Wang, Optimal probability density function control for NARMAX stochastic systems, Automatica, Vol. 44, pp. 1904-1911, 2008.
- Z. W. Gao, T. Breikin and H. Wang, Reliable observer-based control against sensor failures for systems with time delays in both state and input, IEEE Transactions on Man, Systems and Cybernetics, Part A, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 1018 – 1029, 2008.
- S.Chunhtai and H. Wang, A high integrity multivariable robust control with application to a process control rig, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 775 – 785, 2007.
- Z. Gao, T. Breikin and H.Wang, High-gain estimator and fault-tolerant design with application to a gas turbine dynamic system, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 740 – 753, 2007.
- A. Nokbahti and H. Wang, On a new method for H2 –based decomposition, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 51, pp. 1956 - 1961, 2006.
- L. Guo and H. Wang, Minimum entropy filtering for multivariate stochastic systems with non-Gaussian noises, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol 51, pp. 695-670, 2006.
- Lei Guo, Yu-Min Zhang, Hong Wang, Jian-Cheng Fang, Observer-based optimal fault detection and diagnosis using conditional probability distributions, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 10, pp. 3712 – 3719, 2006.
- Zhou, J., H. Yue and H. Wang, Minimum entropy control of B-spline PDF systems with mean constraint, Automatica, Vol. 42, pp. 989 – 994, 2006.
- Guo, L. and H. Wang, Fault detection and diagnosis for general stochastic systems using B-spline expansions and nonlinear filters, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Part I. Vol.52, pp. 1644 – 1652, 2005.
- L Guo and H Wang, PID controller design for output PDFs of stochastic systems using linear matrix inequalities, IEEE Transactions on Man, Systems and Cybernetics., 35(1), pp. 65-71, February 2005.
- L Guo and H. Wang, Generalized discrete-time PI control of output PDFs using square root B-spline expansion, Automatica, 41(1), pp. 159-162, January, 2005.
- H. Yue and H. Wang, “Minimum entropy control of closed loop tracking errors for dynamic stochastic systems”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 48, pp. 118-122, 2003.
- H. Wang, “Minimum entropy control for non-Gaussian dynamic stochastic systems”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 47, pp.398 – 403, 2002.
- H. Wang, J. H. Zhang, “Bounded stochastic distribution control for pseudo ARMAX systems”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.46, pp.486-490, 2001.
- P. Kabore, H. Wang, ”Design of fault diagnosis filters and fault tolerant control for a class of nonlinear systems”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol.46, pp.1805-1809, 2001.
- H. Wang, Bounded Dynamic Stochastic Distributions Modelling and Control, Springer-Verlag (London) Ltd, March, 2000. (ISBN 1-85233-187-9, total page number: 176).
- H. Wang, "Robust control of the output probability density functions for multivariable stochastic systems with guaranteed stability", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 41, pp.2103-2107, 1999.
- J. Noriega and H. Wang, "A direct adaptive neural network control for unknown nonlinear systems and its application", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 9, pp. 27-34, 1998.
- H. Wang, A. P. Wang and S. Duncan, Process Control in Paper and Board Making, PIRA International Ltd, 1997. (ISBN 1858021006, total page number: 322, I wrote pp. 75 - 252 ).
- H. Wang, Z. Huang and S. Daley, On the use of adaptive updating rules for actuators and sensor fault diagnosis, Automatica, Vol. 32, No.2, pp. 217-225, 1997.
- H. Wang and S. Daley, "Actuator fault diagnosis: an adaptive observer based approach", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, No. 7, pp. 1073-1077, 1996.
- H. Wang, G. P. Liu, C. J. Harris+ and M. Brown, Advanced Adaptive Control, Elsevier Science (formerly Pergamon Press Ltd), December, 1995. (ISBN 0080420206, pp. 22-32, 108-130, 178-262).