Chemical and Biological Process Development
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mike Lilga is an inorganic and organometallic chemist with experience in a variety of areas including synthesis and characterization of inorganic complexes, electrochemistry, applications of complexes to catalysis and gas separations, sequestration of metal ions, selective hydrocarbon oxidation, and catalysis of coal gasification and the water-gas shift reaction. He has extensive experience with infrared, ultraviolet, visible, and multinuclear NMR spectroscopies and electrochemistry. Dr. Lilga was one of the developers of the Electrically Switched Ion Exchange process, which removes metal ions from aqueous streams using modulation of the potential of electroactive films on electrode surfaces. He was also a principal contributor to the Hanford Waste Tank Safety Program, where he studied the destruction of nickel ferrocyanides by dissolution and hydrolysis and destruction of organic components of waste. Results of the studies helped resolve the Tank Safety Issues.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry, Northwestern University, 1984
- B.S., Chemistry (Summa Cum Laude), State University of New York/Fredonia, 1977
- Ramasamy KK, MA Gerber, MA Lilga, and MD Flake. 2012. "Conversion of Mixed Oxygenates Generated from Synthesis Gas to Fuel Range Hydrocarbon." In 244th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, August 19-23, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania , no. Abstract No. 167, American Chemical Society, Washington DC.
- Andersen A, SM Kathmann, MA Lilga, KO Albrecht, RT Hallen, and D Mei. 2012. "First-principles characterization of potassium intercalation in the hexagonal 2H-MoS2." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116(2):1826-1832. doi:10.1021/jp206555b
- Andersen A, SM Kathmann, MA Lilga, KO Albrecht, RT Hallen, and D Mei. 2011. "Adsorption of Potassium on the MoS2(100) Surface: A First-Principles Investigation." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(18):9025-9040. doi:10.1021/jp110069r
- Lilga MA, RT Hallen, and MJ Gray. 2010. "Production of Oxidized Derivatives of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF)." Topics in Catalysis 53(15-18):1264-1269.
- Hallen RT, JGH Geeting, MA Lilga, TR Hart, and FV Hoopes. 2005. "Assessment of the Mechanisms for Sr-90 and Tru Removal from Complexant-Containing Tank Wastes at Hanford." Separation Science and Technology 40(1-3):171-183.
- Lilga MA, RJ Orth, JH Sukamto, SD Rassat, JD Genders, and R Gopal. 2001. "Cesium Separation Using Electrically Switched Ion Exchange." Separation Science and Technology 24(3):451-466.
- Lilga MA, RJ Orth, and JH Sukamto. 1999. "Metal Ion Separations Using Electrically Switched Ion Exchange." In Metal Separation Technologies Beyond 2000: Integrating Novel Chemistry with Processing., pp. 269-280 Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale, PA.
- Rassat SD, JH Sukamto, RJ Orth, MA Lilga, and RT Hallen. 1999. "Development of Electrically Switched Ion Exchange Process for Selective Ion Separations." Separation and Purification Technology 15(3):207-222.
- Sukamto JH, TL Hubler, MA Lilga, SD Rassat, G Anderson, WH Smryl, and J Mcbreen. 1999. Electroactive Materials for Anion Separation - Technetium from Nitrate. PNNL-12208, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.