Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Chris Murray has been at PNNL since 1992, with the majority of his research on geostatistics and sedimentary geology. Dr. Murray is lead investigator on the use of geostatistics for environmental mapping and risk assessment, the application of geostatistical techniques to studies of spatial heterogeneity, and the geologic controls on subsurface fluid flow. The spatial heterogeneity studies include projects to investigate sedimentological controls on subsurface transport for environmental characterization and carbon sequestration; to design sampling plans for monitoring contaminated groundwater at the Hanford site and to quantify the uncertainty in mass estimates of contaminants in the subsurface; to map the distribution and mass of contaminated sediments off the coast of Southern California; to identify the spatial distribution of microbes in the subsurface; to determine the relationship between geological and geochemical properties and microbial spatial heterogeneity; and to characterize the spatial continuity of fluvial sediments. Dr. Murray has also performed geological and statistical research on the impact of riverine and hyporheic processes on salmon spawning. Prior to joining PNNL in 1992, he worked for 10 years as a petroleum geologist, performing subsurface mapping of structure and sedimentary geology for petroleum exploration and production, and applying statistical and geostatistical methods for contouring and classification of subsurface geologic data. Dr. Murray is a registered professional geologist in the State of Washington.
- Geostatistical analysis for environmental mapping and risk assessment
- Geostatistical modeling of sedimentary facies and petrophysical properties
- Environmental sampling design and decision analysis
- Statistical approaches to sedimentology and study of the geologic controls on subsurface fluid flow
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Geostatistics, Stanford University, 1992
- M.S., Geology, University of Montana, 1982
- B.A., Geology, University of Montana, 1980
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Adjunct faculty, University of Montana and Washington State University, Tri-Cities (1997-present)
- Registered Professional Geologist, Washington (No. 1393)
- Member of National Academy of Sciences panel evaluating groundwater contamination at Los Alamos National Laboratory (2006-2007)
- Editorial Board, GEOLOGY, 1998-2000
- Co-coordinator for DOE’s Subsurface Science, Bacterial Transport Subprogram (1994-1997)
- American Geophysical Union
- Geological Society of America
- International Association for Mathematical Geology
Awards and Recognitions
- Thomas D. and Janice H. Barrow Fellowship in the Earth Sciences (1988-1992)
- Blaustein Fellowship in the Earth Sciences (1988-1992)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (1980-1982)
- Sigma Xi Research Award (1980)
- Watkins Fellowship (1979-1980)
- Marathon Oil Scholarship (1979-1980)
- Estwing Award for Field Geology (1979)
- National Association of Geology Teachers' Summer Field Scholarship (1979)
- Nguyen BN, Z Hou, DH Bacon, CJ Murray, and MD White. 2016. "Three-Dimensional Modeling of the Reactive Transport of CO2 and Its Impact on Geomechanical Properties of Reservoir Rocks and Seals." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 46:100-115. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.01.004
- Long PE, KH Williams, JA Davis, PM Fox, MJ Wilkins, SB Yabusaki, Y Fang, SR Waichler, ES Berman, M Gupta, DP Chandler, CJ Murray, AD Peacock, L Giloteaux, KM Handley, DR Lovley, and JF Banfield. 2015. "Bicarbonate Impact on U(VI) Bioreduction in a Shallow Alluvial Aquifer." Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 150:106-124. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2014.11.013
- Venteris ER, JD Tagestad, JL Downs, and CJ Murray. 2015. "Detection of Anomalous Crop Condition and Soil Variability Mappping Using a 26 Year Landsat Record and the Palmer Crop Moisture Index." International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 39:160-170. doi:10.1016/j.jag.2015.03.008
- Bonneville A, BN Nguyen, ML Stewart, Z Hou, CJ Murray, and TJ Gilmore. 2014. "Geomechanical Evaluation of Thermal Impact of Injected CO2 Temperature on a Geological Reservoir: Application to the FutureGen 2.0 Site." Energy Procedia 63:3298-3304. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.358
- Freedman VL, X Chen, SA Finsterle, MD Freshley, I Gorton, LJ Gosink, E Keating, C Lansing, WAM Moeglein, CJ Murray, GSH Pau, EA Porter, S Purohit, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, VV Vesselinov, and SR Waichler. 2014. "A high-performance workflow system for subsurface simulation." Environmental Modelling & Software 55:176-189. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.01.030
- Last GV, CJ Murray, YJ Bott, and CF Brown. 2014. "Threshold Values for Identification of Contamination Predicted by Reduced-Order Models." Energy Procedia 63:3589-3597. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.389
- Chen X, GE Hammond, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, VR Vermeul, and JM Zachara. 2013. "Applications of Ensemble-based Data Assimilation Techniques for Aquifer Characterization using Tracer Data at Hanford 300 Area." Water Resources Research 49:1-13. doi:10.1002/2012WR013285
- Klett KJ, C Torgersen, J Henning, and CJ Murray. 2013. "Spatial consistency of Chinook salmon redd distribution within and among years in the Cowlitz River, Washington." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33(3):508-518. doi:10.1080/02755947.2013.778924
- Last GV, CJ Murray, CF Brown, PD Jordan, and M Sharma. 2013. No-Impact Threshold Values for NRAP's Reduced Order Models. PNNL-22077, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, JM Zachara, JP McKinley, AL Ward, YJ Bott, KE Draper, and DA Moore. 2013. "Establishing a geochemical heterogeneity model for a contaminated vadose zone - Aquifer system." Journal of Contaminant Hydrology Hydrology(153):122-140. doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2012.02.003.
- Stegen JC, X Lin, JK Fredrickson, X Chen, DW Kennedy, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, and A Konopka. 2013. "Quantifying Community Assembly Processes and Identifying Features that Impose Them." The ISME Journal 7:2069-2079. doi:10.1038/ismej.2013.93
- Hou Z, ML Rockhold, and CJ Murray. 2012. "Evaluating the impact of caprock and reservoir properties on potential risk of CO2 leakage after injection." Environmental Earth Sciences 66(8):2403-2415. doi:10.1007/s12665-011-1465-2
- Kowalsky MB, SA Finsterle, KH Williams, CJ Murray, M Commer, DR Newcomer, AL Englert, CI Steefel, and S Hubbard. 2012. "On parameterization of the inverse problem for estimating aquifer properties using tracer data." Water Resources Research 48:Article No. W06535. doi:10.1029/2011WR011203
- Zachara JM, BN Bjornstad, JN Christensen, MS Conrad, JK Fredrickson, MD Freshley, R Haggerty, GE Hammond, DB Kent, A Konopka, PC Lichtner, C Liu, JP McKinley, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, Y Rubin, VR Vermeul, RJ Versteeg, and C Zheng. 2012. Multi-Scale Mass Transfer Processes Controlling Natural Attenuation and Engineered Remediation: An IFRC Focused on Hanford's 300 Area Uranium Plume January 2011 to January 2012. PNNL-21169, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bonneville A, GD Black, I Gorton, PSY Hui, EM Murphy, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, MD White, MD Williams, and SK Wurstner. 2011. "Geologic Sequestration Software Suite (GS3): a collaborative approach to the management of geological GHG storage projects ." In Proceedings of the 10th Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies Conference (GHGT10), September 19-23, 2010, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia, vol. 4, ed. J Gale, C Hendriks W Turkenberg, pp. 3825-3832. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.318
- Murray CJ, DR Geist, EV Arntzen, YJ Bott, and MA Nabelek. 2011. Development of a Conceptual Chum Salmon Emergence Model for Ives Island. PNNL-20035, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Yabusaki SB, Y Fang, KH Williams, CJ Murray, AL Ward, R Dayvault, SR Waichler, DR Newcomer, FA Spane, and PE Long. 2011. "Variably Saturated Flow and Multicomponent Biogeochemical Reactive Transport Modeling of a Uranium Bioremediation Field Experiment." Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 126(3-4):271-290. doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2011.09.002
- Zachara JM, BN Bjornstad, JN Christensen, MS Conrad, JK Fredrickson, MD Freshley, R Haggerty, GE Hammond, DB Kent, A Konopka, PC Lichtner, C Liu, JP McKinley, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, Y Rubin, VR Vermeul, RJ Versteeg, AL Ward, and C Zheng. 2011. Multi-Scale Mass Transfer Processes Controlling Natural Attenuation and Engineered Remediation: An IFRC Focused on Hanford's 300 Area Uranium Plume January 2010 to January 2011. PNNL-20257, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Tonkin MJ, M Karanovic, ME Byrnes, JG Morse, CJ Murray, and P Clement. 2010. "Systematic Application of Flow-and-Transport Modeling for Wellfield Design: the Hanford 200-ZP-1 Groundwater Pump-and-Treat Remedy - 10320." In 36th Annual Radioactive Waste Management Symposium (WM 2010), March 7-11, 2010, Phoenix, AZ, vol. 5, pp. 4102-4115. WM Symposia, Inc., Tucson, AZ.
- Zachara JM, BN Bjornstad, JN Christensen, ME Conrad, JK Fredrickson, MD Freshley, R Haggerty, G Hammon, DB Kent, A Konopka, PC Lichtner, C Liu, JP McKinley, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, Y Rubin, VR Vermeul, RJ Versteeg, AL Ward, and C Zheng. 2010. Multi-Scale Mass Transfer Processes Controlling Natural Attenuation and Engineered Remediation: An IFRC Focused on Hanford's 300 Area Uranium Plume. PNNL-19209, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Last GV, ML Rockhold, CJ Murray, and KJ Cantrell. 2009. Selection and Traceability of Parameters To Support Hanford-Specific RESRAD Analyses -- Fiscal Year 2008 Status Report . PNNL-18564, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Rockhold ML, EC Sullivan, CJ Murray, GV Last, and GD Black. 2009. Data Assimilation Tools for CO2 Reservoir Model Development - A Review of Key Data Types, Analyses, and Selected Software . PNNL-18844, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Geist DR, CJ Murray, TP Hanrahan, and YL Xie. 2008. "A model of the effects of flow fluctuations on fall Chinook salmon spawning habitat availability in the Columbia River." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28(6):1894-1910. doi:10.1577/M07-074.1
- Geist DR, EV Arntzen, CJ Murray, K McGrath, YJ Bott, and TP Hanrahan. 2008. "Influence of river level on temperature and hydraulic gradients in chum and fall Chinook salmon spawning areas downstream of Bonneville Dam, Columbia River." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28(1):30-41.
- Murray CJ, and YJ Bott. 2008. Revised Geostatistical Analysis of the Inventory of Carbon Tetrachloride in the Unconfined Aquifer in the 200 West Area of the Hanford Site . PNNL-18118, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, and YJ Bott. 2008. Spatial Analysis of Contaminants in 200 West Area Groundwater in Support of the 200-ZP-1 Operable Unit Pre-Conceptual Remedy Design. PNNL-18100, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Xie YL, CJ Murray, TP Hanrahan, and DR Geist. 2008. "Data Mining on Large Data Set for Predicting Salmon Spawning Habitat." In Proceedings of The 2008 International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN'08), vol. 1, ed. R. Stahlbock, S. F. Crone and S. Lessmann, pp. 233-239. CSREA Press, Athens, NV.
- Clement WP, and CJ Murray. 2007. "GPR Imaging of Clastic Dikes at the Hanford Site, Hanford, Washington." In Stratigraphic Analyses Using GPR, vol. Special Paper 432, ed. Baker, GS, and Jol, HM, pp. 169-181. Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO.
- Knight RJ, JD Irving, P Tercier, EJ Freeman, CJ Murray, and ML Rockhold. 2007. "A Comparison of the Use of Radar Images and Neutron Probe Data to Determine the Horizontal Correlation Length of Water Content ." In Subsurface Hydrology: Data Integration for Properties and Processes: Geophysical Monograph Series, vol. 171, ed. David W. Hyndman, Frederick D. Day-Lewis, Kamini Singha, pp. 31-44. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Last GV, CJ Murray, DA Bush, EC Sullivan, ML Rockhold, RD Mackley, and BN Bjornstad. 2007. "Standardization of Borehole Data to Support Vadose Zone Flow and Transport Modeling." Vadose Zone Journal 6(4):906-912. doi:10.2136/vzj2006.0175
- Matzke BD, LL Nuffer, RO Gilbert, JE Hathaway, LH Sego, BL Roberts, JE Wilson, ST Dowson, NL Hassig, CJ Murray, BA Pulsipher, and SA McKenna. 2007. Visual Sample Plan Version 5.0 User's Guide . PNNL-16939, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, AL Ward, and J Wilson. 2007. "Influence of Clastic Dikes on Vertical Migration of Contaminants at the Hanford Site ." Vadose Zone Journal 6(4):959-970. doi:10.2136/vzj2007.0004
- Murray CJ, YJ Bott, and MJ Truex. 2007. Geostatistical Analyses of the Persistence and Inventory of Carbon Tetrachloride in the 200 West Area of the Hanford Site. PNNL-16509, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Scheibe TD, Y Fang, CJ Murray, EE Roden, J Chen, YJ Chien, SC Brooks, and SS Hubbard. 2006. "Transport and biogeochemical reaction of metals in a physically and chemically heterogeneous aquifer." Geosphere 2(4):220-235.
- Truex MJ, MJ Nimmons, CD Johnson, PE Dresel, and CJ Murray. 2006. Screening of Potential Remediation Methods for the 200-ZP-1 Operable Unit at the Hanford Site . PNNL-15954, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ward AL, ME Conrad, WD Daily, JB Fink, VL Freedman, GW Gee, GM Hoversten, JM Keller, EL Majer, CJ Murray, MD White, SB Yabusaki, and ZF Zhang. 2006. Vadose Zone Transport Field Study: Summary Report . PNNL-15443, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, GV Last, and MJ Truex. 2005. Review of Geophysical Techniques to Define the Spatial Distribution of Subsurface Properties or Contaminants. PNNL-15305, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Peterson RE, EJ Freeman, PD Thorne, MD Williams, JW Lindberg, CJ Murray, MJ Truex, SB Yabusaki, JP McDonald, VR Vermeul, and JM Zachara. 2005. Contaminants of Potential Concern in the 300-FF-5 Operable Unit: Expanded Annual Groundwater Report for Fiscal Year 2004. PNNL-15127, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chen J, S Hubbard, Y Rubin, CJ Murray, EE Roden, and EL Majer. 2004. "Geochemical Characterization Using Geophysical Data and Markov Chain Monte Carlo Methods: A Case Study at the South Oyster Bacterial Transport Site in Virginia." Water Resources Research Vol. 40(No. 12):W12412.
- Hampton MA, CT Blay, and CJ Murray. 2004. "Carbonate Sediment Deposits on the Reef Front Around Oahu, Hawaii." Marine Georesources & Geotechnology 22(1-2):65-102.
- Murray CJ, YJ Chien, and PD Thorne. 2004. A Geostatistical Analysis of Historical Field Data on Tritium, Technetium-99, Iodine-129, and Uranium. PNNL-14618 , Rev. 0, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wildung RE, SMW Li, CJ Murray, KM Krupka, YL Xie, NJ Hess, and EE Roden. 2004. "Technetium Reduction in Sediments of a Shallow Aquifer Exhibiting Dissimilatory Iron Reduction Potential ." FEMS Microbiology Ecology 49(1):151-162.
- Murray CJ, AL Ward, and JL Wilson, III. 2003. Influence of Clastic Dikes on Vertical Migration of Contaminants in the Vadose Zone at Hanford. PNNL-14224, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Musslewhite CL, M Mcinerney, H Dong, TC Onstott, M Green-Blum, DJP Swift, S MacNaughton, DC White, CJ Murray, and YJ Chien. 2003. "The Factors Controlling Microbial Distribution and Activity in the Shallow Subsurface ." Geomicrobiology Journal 20(3):245 - 261.
- Savelieva-Trofimova EA, M Kanevski, timonin, A Pozdnukhov, CJ Murray, TD Scheibe, YL Xie, PD Thorne, and CR Cole. 2003. "Aquifer Hydrogeologic Layer Zonation at the Hanford Site." In Proceedings IAMG 2003, p. 46+. International Association for Mathematical Geosciences, Kingston, ONT.
- Scheibe TD, CJ Murray, YL Xie, MD Williams, CR Cole, VR Vermeul, and MP Bergeron. 2003. "Temporal and Spatial Weighting of Head and Concentration Observations for a Large-Scale Transient Inverse Model." In Proceedings of Modflow and More 2003: Understanding through Modeling, pp. 610-614. Colorado School of Mines, International Ground Water Modeling Center, Golden, CO.
- Vermeul VR, MP Bergeron, CR Cole, CJ Murray, WE Nichols, TD Scheibe, PD Thorne, SR Waichler, and YL Xie. 2003. Transient Inverse Calibration of the Site-Wide Groundwater Flow Model (ACM-2): FY03 Progress Report . PNNL-14398, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Xie YL, CJ Murray, GV Last, and RD Mackley. 2003. Mineralogical and Bulk-Rock Geochemical Signatures of Ringold and Hanford Formation Sediments . PNNL-14202, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, HJ Lee, and MA Hampton. 2002. "Geostatistical mapping of effluent-affected sediment distribution on the Palos Verdes Shelf." Continental Shelf Research 22:881-897.
- Bredt PR, CC Ainsworth, FJ Brockman, DM Camaioni, OB Egorov, AR Felmy, YA Gorby, JW Grate, MS Greenwood, BP Hay, NJ Hess, TL Hubler, JP Icenhower, SV Mattigod, BP McGrail, PD Meyer, CJ Murray, PD Panetta, DM Pfund, D Rai, Y Su, SK Sundaram, WJ Weber, and JM Zachara. 2002. Science to Support DOE Site Cleanup: The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Environmental Management Science Program Awards -- Fiscal Year 2002 Mid-Year Progress Report. PNNL-13928, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Geist DR, TP Hanrahan, EV Arntzen, GA McMichael, CJ Murray, and YJ Chien. 2002. "Physicochemical charateristics of the hyporheic zone affect redd site selection of chum salmon and fall chinook salmon in the Columbia River." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 22(4):1077-1085.
- Hampton MA, H Karl, and CJ Murray. 2002. "Acoustic profiles and images of the Palos Verdes Margin: Implications concerning deposition from the White's Point outfall." Continental Shelf Research 22(6-7):841-857.
- Murray CJ. 2001. "Sampling and Data Analysis for Environmental Microbiology." Chapter 15 in Manual of Environmental Microbiology, 2nd ed., ed. CJ Hurst; et al, pp. 166-178 ASM Press, Washington DC.
- Balkwill D, J Chen, M Deflaun, F Dobbs, H Dong, JK Fredrickson, M Fuller, M Green, T Ginn, T Griffin, W Holben, S Hubbard, W Johnson, PE Long, B Mailloux, E Majer, M Mcinerney, CJ Murray, T Onstott, T Phelps, TD Scheibe, D Swift, D White, and F Wobber. 2001. "Breakthroughs in field-scale bacterial transport." Eos 82(38):417, 423-425.
- Bredt PR, FJ Brockman, DM Camaioni, AR Felmy, JW Grate, BP Hay, NJ Hess, PD Meyer, CJ Murray, DM Pfund, Y Su, EC Thornton, WJ Weber, and JM Zachara. 2001. Science To Support DOE Site Cleanup: The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Environmental Management Science Program Awards. PNNL-13564, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Cole CR, MP Bergeron, CJ Murray, PD Thorne, SK Wurstner, and PM Rogers. 2001. Uncertainty Analysis Framework - Hanford Site-Wide Groundwater Flow and Transport Model. PNNL-13641, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Murray CJ, GV Last, and YJ Chien. 2001. Enhanced Site Characterization of the 618-4 Burial Ground. PNNL-13656, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Truex MJ, CJ Murray, CR Cole, RJ Cameron, MD Johnson, RS Skeen, and CD Johnson. 2001. Assessment of Carbon Tetrachloride Groundwater Transport in Support of the Hanford Carbon Tetrachloride Innovative Technology Demonstration Program. PNNL-13560, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Geist DR, J Jones, CJ Murray, and DD Dauble. 2000. "Suitability criteria analyzed at the spatial scale of redd clusters improved estimates of fall chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) spawning habitat use in the Hanford Reach, Columbia River." Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57(8):1636-1646.
- Michael D, PE Dresel, CJ Chou, CJ Murray, RO Gilbert, and BA Pulsipher. 2000. "Rethinking Groundwater Monitoring at the Hanford Site." Remediation 10(2):19-44.
- Rockhold ML, CJ Murray, and MJ Fayer. 1999. "Conditional simulation and upscaling of soil hydraulic properties." In Characterization and Measurement of the Hydraulic Properties of Unsaturated Porous Media, vol. 2, ed. M. Th. van Genuchten, F. J. Leij, and L. Wu, pp. 1391-1401. University of California Press, Riverside, CA.