Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., University of Washington, Environmental Engineering and Science, 1991
- M.S., University of Washington, Geology, 1983
- B.S., cum laude, University of Washington, Geology, 1981
Awards and Recognitions
- Department of Energy Global Change Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Howard A. Coombs Scholarship
- McGetchin Volcano Fund
- Venteris ER, R McBride, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Siting algae cultivation facilities for biofuel production in the United States: trade-offs between growth rate, site constructability, water availability, and infrastructure ." Environmental Science & Technology 48(6):3559-3566. doi:10.1021/es4045488
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2014. "A National-Scale Comparison of Resource and Nutrient Demands for Algae-Based Biofuel Production by Lipid Extraction and Hydrothermal Liquefaction." Biomass & Bioenergy 64:276-290. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.02.001
- Coleman AM, J Abodeely, R Skaggs, WAM Moeglein, DT Newby, ER Venteris, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "An Integrated Assessment of Location-Dependent Scaling for Microalgae Biofuel Production Facilities." Algal Research 5:79-94. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2014.05.008
- Davis R, D Fishman, ED Frank, MC Johnson, SB Jones, C Kinchin, R Skaggs, ER Venteris, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Integrated Evaluation of Cost, Emissions, and Resource Potential for Algal Biofuels at the National Scale." Environmental Science & Technology 48(10):6035-6042. doi:10.1021/es4055719
- Tesfa TK, LYR Leung, M Huang, H Li, N Voisin, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Scalability of grid- and subbasin-based land surface modeling approaches for hydrologic simulations." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(6):3166-3184. doi:10.1002/2013JD020493
- Li H, MS Wigmosta, H Wu, M Huang, Y Ke, AM Coleman, and LYR Leung. 2013. "A Physically Based Runoff Routing Model for Land Surface and Earth System Models." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14(3):808-828. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-015.1
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2013. "A GIS COST MODEL TO ASSESS THE AVAILABILITY OF FRESHWATER, SEAWATER, AND SALINE GROUNDWATER FOR ALGAL BIOFUEL PRODUCTION IN THE UNITED STATES." Environmental Science & Technology 47(9):4840-4849. doi:10.1021/es304135b
- Voisin N, H Li, DL Ward, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, and LYR Leung. 2013. "On an improved sub-regional water resources management representation for integration into earth system models." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 17(9):3605-3622. doi:10.5194/hess-17-3605-2013
- Venteris ER, R Skaggs, AM Coleman, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "An Assessment of Land Availability and Price in the Coterminous United States for Conversion to Algal Biofuel Production." Biomass & Bioenergy 47:483-497. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.09.060
- Ke Y, LYR Leung, M Huang, AM Coleman, H Li, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "Development of High Resolution Land Surface Parameters for the Community Land Model." Geoscientific Model Development 5(6):1341-1362. doi:10.5194/gmd-5-1341-2012
- Li H, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, Y Ke, AM Coleman, LYR Leung, A Wang, and DM Ricciuto. 2011. "Evaluating runoff simulations from the Community Land Model 4.0 using observations from flux towers and a mountainous watershed." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D24120. doi:10.1029/2011JD016276
- Roesijadi G, AM Coleman, C Judd, FB Van Cleve, RM Thom, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, MS Wigmosta, and JA Ward. 2011. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan . PNNL-21087, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wigmosta MS, AM Coleman, R Skaggs, MH Huesemann, and LJ Lane. 2011. "National Microalgae Biofuel Production Potential and Resource Demand." Water Resources Research 47:Article No. W00H04. doi:10.1029/2010WR009966
- Wogman NA, BD Milbrath, RF Payne, CE Seifert, JI Friese, HS Miley, TW Bowyer, RC Hanlen, Y Onishi, JC Hayes, and MS Wigmosta. 2011. A Discussion of Procedures and Equipment for the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty On-Site Inspection Environmental Sampling and Analysis. PNNL-20151, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wigmosta MS, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and AM Coleman. 2009. "Hydrologic and Erosion Models To Assess Land Use and Management Practices Affecting Soil Erosion." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 14(1):27-41.
- Tagestad JD, J Bolte, M Guzy, DL Woodruff, K Humes, V Walden, MS Wigmosta, N Glenn, D Ames, R Rope, D Martin, and S Sandgathe. 2008. PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGIONAL COLLABORATORY ANNUAL REPORT FOR SYNERGY VII (2007). PNNL-17271, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Coleman AM, MS Wigmosta, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and D Roberts. 2008. "A GIS-based Adaptive Management Decision Support System to Develop a Multi-Objective Framework: A case study utilizing GIS technologies and physically-based models to archieve improved decision making for site management." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 4(2):269 - 284 .
- Wigmosta MS, MK Gill, AM Coleman, R Prasad, and LW Vail. 2007. "A Distributed Modeling System for Short-Term to Seasonal Ensemble Streamflow Forecasting in Snowmelt Dominated Basins." In Proceedings of the 75th Annual Western Snow Conference, April 16-19, 2007, Kona, HI, ed. R Julander, pp. 187-194. Western Snow Conference, Soda Springs, CA.
- Wigmosta MS, and GR Guensch. 2006. FY 1999 Progress Report on: Potential Groundwater Recharge from the Infiltration of Surface Runoff in Cold and Dry Creeks . PNNL-15534, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, BC Wemple, and MS Wigmosta. 2005. "Simulation of Water Balance and Forest Treatment Effects at the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Hydrological Processes 19(16):3177-3199.
- Waichler SR, and MS Wigmosta. 2004. "Application of Hydrograph Shape and Channel Infiltration Models to an Arid Watershed." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 9(5):433-439.
- Waichler SR, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2004. Natural Recharge to the Unconfined Aquifer System on the Hanford Site from the Greater Cold Creek Watershed: Progress Report 2004. PNNL-14717, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, and MS Wigmosta. 2003. "Development of Hourly Meteorological Values From Daily Data and Significance to Hydrological Modeling at H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Journal of Hydrometeorology 4(2):251-263.
- Wigmosta MS, and LR Leung. 2003. "Potential Impacts of Climate Change on Streamflow and Flooding in Snow Dominated Forest Basins." Chapter 2 in Environmental Change and Geomorphic Hazards in Forests: IUFRO Research Series, No. 9, ed. R.C Sidle, pp. 7-24. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, United Kingdom.
- Wigmosta MS, B Nijssen, and P Storck. 2002. "The Distributed Hydrology Soil Vegetation Model." Chapter 2 in Mathematical Models of Small Watershed Hydrology and Applications, vol. ., ed. VP Singh & DK Frevert, pp. 7-42. Water Resources Publications, Highlands Ranch, CO.
- Wigmosta MS, and SJ Burges. 2001. Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas. Water Science and Application Series, vol. 2, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Petrie GM, JD Tagestad, KL Steinmaus, MS Wigmosta, and CH Read. 2001. "Multidata analysis for automatic river extraction." In International Symposium on Remote Sensing and Hydrology, vol. 267, ed. Owe, M., pp. 427-432. IAHS , Wallingford, Oxfordshire.
- Wigmosta MS, and WA Perkins. 2001. "Simulating the effects of forest roads on watershed hydrology." In Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas, AGU Water Science and Application Series, vol. 2, ed. M.S. Wigmosta and S.J. Burges, pp. 127-143. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Wigmosta MS, and WA Perkins. 2001. "Simulating the effects of forest roads on watershed hydrology." In Land Use and Watersheds: Human Influence on Hydrology and Geomorphology in Urban and Forest Areas, Water Science and Applications Series, vol. 2, ed. MS Wigmosta and SJ Burges, pp. 127-143. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Wogman NA, MS Wigmosta, DW Swindle, and PW Krey. 2001. "Wide-Area Aquatic Sampling and Analysis for the Detection of Nuclear Proliferation." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 248(No. 3 (2001)):611-615.
- Leung LR, and MS Wigmosta. 2000. "The roles of subgrid topography on land-atmosphere interactions." In 15th Conference On Hydrology, pp. 194-197. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Wigmosta MS, and DP Lettenmaier. 1999. "A comparison of simplified methods for routing topographically driven subsurface flow." Water Resources Research 35(1):255-264.
- Leung LR, and MS Wigmosta. 1999. "Potential climate change impacts on mountain watersheds in the Pacific Northwest." Journal of the American Water Resources Association 35(6):1463-1471 .