Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Ms. Wurstner joined PNNL as a full-time scientist in 1989. She is currently involved in simulating the injection and redistribution of CO2 in saline reservoirs to determine their suitability for Carbon Sequestration. Her other research interests include numerical modeling of groundwater flow and transport processes and migration of NAPLs, total systems risk assessments, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and development of aquifer test analysis software. Ms. Wurstner is a licensed professional geologist and hydrogeologist in the state of Washington. She has previously served as adjunct faculty at Heritage College, in Toppenish, WA, and is currently serving as adjunct faculty at Columbia Basin College in Pasco, WA, and is active in various science education and outreach programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and Battelle. Ms. Wurstner received the 2002 Fitzner-Eberhardt Award for outstanding contributions to science and engineering education, and the 2004 PNNL Woman of Achievement Award.
- Carbon Sequestration
- Groundwater Flow and Transport Modeling
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Development of Aquifer Test Analysis Software
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Geology, Indiana University, 1989
- B.S., Geology, Indiana University, 1986
- Licensed Professional Geologist, State of Washington
- Licensed Professional Hydrogeologist, State of Washington
Affiliations and Professional Service
- National Ground Water Association
- Geological Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- Washington Hydrologic Society
- Ice Age Floods Institute
Awards and Recognitions
- 2004 PNNL Woman of Achievement
- 2002 Fitzner/Eberhardt Award for Outstanding Contributions to Science and Engineering Education
- Gorton I, C Sivaramakrishnan, GD Black, SK White, S Purohit, CS Lansing, MC Madison, KL Schuchardt, and Y Liu. 2012. "Velo: A Knowledge Management Framework for Modeling and Simulation." Computing in Science & Engineering 14(2):12-23. doi:10.1109/MCSE.2011.116
- McGrail BP, CJ Freeman, CF Brown, EC Sullivan, SK White, S Reddy, R Garber, D Tobin, J Gilmartin, and E Steffensen. 2012. "Overcoming Business Model Uncertainty in a Carbon Dioxide Capture and Sequestration Project: Case Study at the Boise White Paper Mill." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 9:91-102. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.03.009
- White MD, DH Bacon, BP McGrail, DJ Watson, SK White, and ZF Zhang. 2012. STOMP Subsurface Transport Over Multiple Phases: STOMP-CO2 and STOMP-CO2e Guide: Version 1.0. PNNL-21268, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bonneville AHR, GD Black, I Gorton, PSY Hui, EM Murphy, CJ Murray, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, MD White, MD Williams, and SK Wurstner. 2011. "Geologic Sequestration Software Suite (GS3): a collaborative approach to the management of geological GHG storage projects ." In Proceedings of the 10th Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies Conference (GHGT10), September 19-23, 2010, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia, vol. 4, ed. J Gale, C Hendriks W Turkenberg, pp. 3825-3832. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.318
- Gandara AG, G Chin, Jr, P Pinheiro Da Silva, SK White, C Sivaramakrishnan, and TJ Critchlow. 2011. "Knowledge Annotations in Scientific Workflows: An Implementation in Kepler." In 23rd Scientific and Statistical Database Management Conference (SSDBM 2011), July 20-22, 2011, Portland, Oregon. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 6809, ed. JB Cushing, J French and S Bowers, pp. 189-206. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-22351-8_11
- Gorton I, C Sivaramakrishnan, GD Black, SK White, S Purohit, MC Madison, and KL Schuchardt. 2011. "Velo: Riding the Knowledge Management Wave for Simulation and Modeling." In 4th International Workshop on Software Engineering for Computational Science and Engineering (SECSE 2011), Co-located with the 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2011) May 21-28, 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp. 32-40. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1985782.1985788
- White MD, BP McGrail, HT Schaef, JZ Hu, DW Hoyt, AR Felmy, KM Rosso, and SK Wurstner. 2011. "Multiphase Sequestration Geochemistry: Model for Mineral Carbonation." Energy Procedia 4:5009-5016. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.472
- White MD, SK Wurstner, and BP McGrail. 2011. "Numerical studies of methane production from Class 1 gas hydrate accumulations enhanced with carbon dioxide injection." Marine and Petroleum Geology 28(2):546-560. doi:10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2009.06.008
- Gorton I, GD Black, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, SK Wurstner, and PSY Hui. 2010. "GS3: A Knowledge Management Architecture for Collaborative Geologic Sequestration Modeling." In Proceedings of the 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2010). IEEE Computer Society Press, New York, NY. doi:10.1109/HICSS.2010.217
- Long PE, SK Wurstner, EC Sullivan, HT Schaef, and DJ Bradley. 2008. Preliminary Geospatial Analysis of Arctic Ocean Hydrocarbon Resources. PNNL-17922, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Nichols WE, SK Wurstner, and PW Eslinger. 2007. "Vadose Zone-Attenuated Artificial Recharge for Input to a Ground Water Model." Ground Water 45(4):491-498. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2007.00317.x
- Eslinger PW, CT Kincaid, WE Nichols, and SK Wurstner. 2006. A Demonstration of the System Assessment Capability (SAC) Rev. 1 Software for the Hanford Remediation Assessment Project. PNNL-16209, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Eslinger PW, DW Engel, LH Gerhardstein, CA Lopresti, TB Miley, WE Nichols, DL Strenge, and SK Wurstner. 2006. Updated User Instructions for the Systems Assessment Capability, Rev. 1, Computer Codes Volume 1: Inventory, Release, and Transport Modules. PNNL-16115 Volume 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wurstner SK, C Herr, GL Andrews, and K Feaster-Alley. 2005. "Teacher/Scientist Partnership Develops a Simulated Natural Disaster Scenario to Enhance Student Learning." Journal of Geoscience Education 53(5):522-530.
- Freedman VL, ZF Zhang, SR Waichler, and SK Wurstner. 2005. 2005 Closure Assessments for WMA-C Tank Farms: Numerical Simulations . PNNL-15377, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Dirks JL, WE Nichols, and SK Wurstner. 2004. "Improving Modeling of Iodine-129 Groundwater Contamination Plumes Using the System Assessment Capability." Journal of Undergraduate Research IV:53-59.
- Eslinger PW, TB Miley, DW Engel, WE Nichols, LH Gerhardstein, DL Strenge, CA Lopresti, and SK Wurstner. 2004. User Instructions for the Systems Assessment Capability, Rev. 1, Computer Codes Volume 1: Inventory, Release, and Transport Modules . PNNL-14852 Volume 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bergeron MP, EJ Freeman, SK Wurstner, CT Kincaid, MM Coony, DL Strenge, RL Aaberg, and PW Eslinger. 2001. Addendum to Composite Analysis for Low-Level Waste Disposal in the 200 Area Plateau of the Hanford Site. PNNL-11800-Addendum 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Cole CR, MP Bergeron, CJ Murray, PD Thorne, SK Wurstner, and PM Rogers. 2001. Uncertainty Analysis Framework - Hanford Site-Wide Groundwater Flow and Transport Model. PNNL-13641, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Cole CR, MP Bergeron, SK Wurstner, PD Thorne, S Orr, and MI Mckinley. 2001. Transient Inverse Calibration of Hanford Site-Wide Groundwater Model to Hanford Operational Impacts - 1943 to 1996. PNNL-13447, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Vermeul VR, CR Cole, MP Bergeron, PD Thorne, and SK Wurstner. 2001. Transient Inverse Calibration of Site-Wide Groundwater Model to Hanford Operational Impacts from 1943 to 1996--Alternative Conceptual Model Considering Interaction with Uppermost Basalt Confined Aquifer. PNNL-13623, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bergeron MP, and SK Wurstner. 2000. Groundwater Flow and Transport Calculations Supporting the Immobilized Low-Activity Waste Disposal Facility Performance Assessment. PNNL-13400, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Kincaid CT, MP Bergeron, CR Cole, MD Freshley, VG Johnson, DI Kaplan, RJ Serne, GP Streile, DL Strenge, PD Thorne, LW Vail, GA Whyatt, and SK Wurstner. 2000. "Composite Analysis for Low-Level Waste Disposal in the 200 Area Plateau of the Hanford Site, Southeast Washington." In Environmental Toxicology and Risk Assessment: Recent Achievements in Environmental Fate and Transport Vol. 9; STP 1381, ed. Fred T. Price, Kevin V Brix, and Nancy K. Lane, pp. 104 - 117. Am. Soc. For Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA.