Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mike Elliott is the Technical Group Manager of the Hydrocarbon Processing group at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. This team develops technologies for the Clean Fossil Fuel Market and the Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Market. Mike has held several technical and project management roles since returning to PNNL in 2004. Recently he was in charge of technology integration for the FutureGen Project as part of the front end engineering and design of this billion dollar coal gasification facility. Prior to that Mr. Elliott was the Deputy Product Line Manager in the Process & Measurement Technologies product line at PNNL as well as the team lead of a process engineering group. From 1997 to 2004 Mr. Elliott was the Director of Engineering at Integrated Environmental Technologies, where he was involved in engineering management, project management, plant design and plant operation for IET’s Plasma Enhanced Melter™ technology. An active member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and the American Ceramic Society, Mr. Elliott has been awarded three U.S. patents.
- Hydrocarbon conversion development
- Emissions capture and conversion
- Process design, development, optimization and intensification
Education and Credentials
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 1986
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 1985
- A.S. General Engineering, Grays Harbor College, 1983
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Ceramic Society
- American Chemical Society
Awards and Recognitions
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Director’s Award for Scientific and Engineering Excellence for contribution to the development of the liquid-fed ceramic melter technology
- Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer (FLC) award for the Plasma Enhanced Melter for Waste Conversion process, 2000
- Gilmore TJ, AH Bonneville, EC Sullivan, ME Kelley, D Appriou, VR Vermeul, SK White, Z Zhang, BN Bjornstad, F Cornet, JL Gerst, N Gupta, G Hund, JA Horner, GV Last, DC Lanigan, M Oostrom, C McNeil, MA Moody, ML Rockhold, ML Elliott, FA Spane, CE Strickland, LL Swartz, PD Thorne, CF Brown, J Hoffmann, and KK Humphreys, JR. 2016. "Characterization and Design of the FutureGen 2.0 Carbon Storage Site." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 53:1-10. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.022
- Widder SH, RS Butner, ML Elliott, and CJ Freeman. 2011. Sustainability Assessment of Coal-Fired Power Plants with Carbon Capture and Storage. PNNL-20933, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Aloy AS, RA Soshnikov, AV Trofimenko, JD Vienna, ML Elliott, and EW Holtzscheiter. 2006. "Improved Loading of Sulfate-Limited Waste in Glass." In Waste Management 2006: Global Accomplishments in Environmental and Radioactive Waste Management: Education and Opportunity for the Next Generation of Waste Management Professionals. Arizona Board of Regents, Tucson, AZ.
- Bagaasen LM, TM Brouns, ML Elliott, PR Hrma, DS Kim, J Matyas, EM Pierce, BP McGrail, MJ Schweiger, BE Campbell, and AE Beck. 2006. "Transport of Technetium and Rhenium into Refractory Materials during Bulk Vitrification." In Waste Management '06: Global Accomplishments in Environmental and Radioactive Waste Management: Education and Opportunity for the Next Generation of Waste Management Professionals. WM Symposia, Tucson, AZ.
- Kim DS, ML Elliott, HD Smith, LM Bagaasen, and PR Hrma. 2006. "Glass Formulations for Immobilizing Hanford Low-Activity Wastes." In Waste Management Symposium, WM'06: Global Accomplishments in Environmental and Radioactive Waste Management: Education and Opportunity for the Next Generation of Waste Management Professionals, February 26-March 2, 2006, Tucson, Arizona. Arizona Board of Regents, Tucson, AZ.
- Hrma PR, LM Bagaasen, AE Beck, TM Brouns, DD Caldwell, ML Elliott, J Matyas, KBC Minister, MJ Schweiger, DM Strachan, BP Tinsley, and GW Hollenberg. 2005. Bulk Vitrification Castable Refractory Block Protection Study. PNNL-15193, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Piepel GF, H Li, CF Windisch, Y Su, and ML Elliott. 2001. "Statistical Modeling of Raman Spectroscopy Data from High-Temperature Glass Melts for On-Line Monitoring of Temperature and Composition ." Quality Engineering 13(4):667-677.
- Sundaram SK, ML Elliott, and DF Bickford. 1999. Technical Exchange on Improved Design and Performance of High Level Waste Melters - Final Report. PNNL-13030, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Li H, GF Piepel, CF Windisch, Jr, Y Su, and ML Elliott. 1998. Feasibility Study of Using High-Temperature Raman Spectroscopy for On-Line Monitoring and Product Control of the Glass Vitrification Process. PNNL-12037, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.