Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
A material chemist with over ten years of experience in the development of advanced materials and devices including carbon nanotubes and mesoporous silica, electro-active polymeric composites and fiber reinforced polymer composites, Dr. Fifield has participated in international, multi-institutional research teams and managed both internally and externally funded research projects at PNNL for governmental and private industrial clients. He has served as the primary investigator and project manager for recent projects involving protective polymeric coatings and lightweight transportation composites.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Chemistry and Nanotechnology, University of Washington, 2003.
- M.S., Analytical Chemistry, University of Washington, 2001.
- B.S., Chemistry and Physics, Westmont College, 1998.
- Prisbrey L, D Roundy, K Blank, LS Fifield, and ED Minot. 2012. "Electrical Characteristics of Carbon Nanotube Devices Prepared with Single Oxidative Point Defects." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116(2):1961-1965. doi:10.1021/jp208870c
- Matyas J, GE Fryxell, BJ Busche, K Wallace, and LS Fifield. 2011. "FUNCTIONALIZED SILICA AEROGELS: ADVANCED MATERIALS TO CAPTURE AND IMMOBILIZE RADIOACTIVE IODINE." Chapter 3 in Ceramic Materials for Energy Applications: Papers from The American Ceramic Society's 35th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, January 23-28, 2011, Daytona Beach, Florida. Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, vol. 32, no. 9, ed. Y Katoh, et al, pp. 23-33. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ. doi:10.1002/9781118095386.ch3
- Qui R, X Ren, LS Fifield, KL Simmons, and K Li. 2011. "Hemp-Fiber-Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester Composites: Optimization of Processing and Improvement of Interfacial Adhesion." Journal of Applied Polymer Science 121(2):862-868. doi:10.1002/app.33674
- Fifield LS, and JW Grate. 2010. "Hydrogen-bond acidic functionalized carbon nanotubes (CNTs) with covalently-bound hexafluoroisopropanol groups." Carbon 48(7):2085-2088. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2010.02.019
- Fifield LS, C Huang, and KL Simmons. 2010. "Investigation of Polymer Resin/Fiber Compatibility in Natural Fiber Reinforced Composite Automotive Materials." In 10th International Conference on Wood & Biofiber Plastic Composites. Forest Products Society, Madison, WI.
- Westman MP, LS Fifield, KL Simmons, S Laddha, and TA Kafentzis. 2010. Natural Fiber Composites: A Review. PNNL-19220, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zhang J, J Liu, D Wang, D Choi, LS Fifield, CM Wang, G Xia, Z Nie, Z Yang, LR Pederson, and GL Graff. 2010. "Vapor-Induced Solid-Liquid-Solid Process for Silicon-based Nanowire Growth." Journal of Power Sources 195(6 SP ISS):1691-1697.
- Fifield LS, C Huang, KL Simmons, JA Carpenter, and MT Smith. 2008. "Evaluation of Composite Natural Fiber/Resin Compatibility ." In Annual Progress Report 2008 Vehicle Technologies Program, Lightweigting Materials, pp. 8-75 - 8-81. US Department of Energy, Vehicle Technologies Program, Washington, DC.
- Fifield LS. 2007. "Carbon Nanotubes." In Productive Nanosystems: A Technology Roadmap. Foresight Institute, Menlo Park, CA.
- Fifield LS. 2007. "Piezoelectrics and Piezo Applications." Chapter paper 17 in Productive Nanosystems: A Technology Roadmap: Part 3 Proceedings of the Roadmap Working Group. Foresight Nanotech Institute, n/a.
- Fifield LS. 2007. "Piezoelectrics and Piezo Applications." In Productive Nanosystems: A Technology Roadmap. Foresight Institute, Menlo Pak, CA.
- Dutta D, SK Sundaram, JG Teeguarden, BJ Riley, LS Fifield, JM Jacobs, RS Addleman, GA Kaysen, BM Moudgil, and TJ Weber. 2007. "Adsorbed Proteins Influence the Biological Activity and Molecular Targeting of Nanomaterials." Toxicological Sciences 100(1):303-315. doi:10.1093/toxsci/kfm217
- Zheng F, DL Baldwin, LS Fifield, NC Anheier, Jr, CL Aardahl, and JW Grate. 2006. "Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Paper as a Sorbent for Organic Vapor Preconcentration." Analytical Chemistry 78(7):2442-2446.
- Fifield LS, KM Denslow, A Gutowska, KL Simmons, and J Holbery. 2005. "ROLE OF FIBER MODIFICATION IN NATURAL FIBER COMPOSITE PROCESSING." In International SAMPE Technical Conference: Materials and Processing Technologies for Revolutionary Applications. Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering, Covina, CA.
- Fifield LS, LR Dalton, RS Addleman, RA Galhotra, MH Engelhard, GE Fryxell, and CL Aardahl. 2004. "Noncovalent Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes with Molecular Anchors using Supercritical Fluids ." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 108(25):8737-8741.